Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wsup wsup everyone!!!! I am the new proud owner of a 1991 9000 cd turbo w/the 2.3L L4 16v turbo!! I bought the car for $600 with a lil' over 200k on it.The interior is in almost mint condition. Except for 2 small tears in the headliner,the turn signal isn't in the column anymore and its just hangs(any way to fix that??),the rear fold down armrest is a little loose,and the drivers window wont go down(motor works,it just wont go down!!!). The engine appears mechanically sound,boosts good,no smoke,etc,etc,... It needs a heater core and HOPEFULLY ONLY p/s fluid(no fluid in res.(??)). The bodies in good shape,just needs a good compounding & buffing,and a headlight cover.

Well thats what I got for $600,not bad huh??
Now that you're familiar with my car I have a few "Q's",....1) what type of engine do I have?? Low pressure or high??
2)0-60 & 1/4 mile times in stock trim??
3)after I fix the things I know of(heater core,p/s,dr.window,headlite cover,turn signal/cruise control arm) what should I look at or do next as preventative maitenance?
THANX IN ADVANCE!!!!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Wassapp!

I see you made it to the Saab Pages boards! Welcome UsTuRbosAaB.

Even with 200,000 miles, considering the condition of the car mechanically and bodywise, that looks like a very good buy.

I am almost positive that yours will be a Full Pressure Turbo. I had one of the first Light Pressure Turbo's which was a newer shape (1992) CS 2.0. I believe they did make a LPT version of the 2.3, though that wasn't until about 1994. (The others will correct me if I'm wrong!)

I'll get hold of the performance figures for you as I have "Road and Track" figures for Saab around the period when your car was made. Just got to dig it out.

Some of the big things to watch for on 9000's are the Timing Chain, the slave cylinder and master cylinders.

The Timing Chain on some models can be checked by measuring the play in the chain (don't know what the tolerances are though), other cars like my 9000 have self adjusting chains. There are symptons of master cylinders and slave cylinders that are on their way - though I'll have to leave that for one of the more techie people to explain.

I'd recommend changing the oil every 6000 miles (or more frequently).

Assuming you're new to Turbos, don't thrash the car from cold (suppose that goes for most cars anyway), and if you've been thrashing the nads off the car, let the engine cool down and more importantly Turbo spin down, for 20-30 seconds before switching off. I've heard that the turbo can be prone to premature wear (or worse) if the engine is turned off straight after an enthusiastic session.

I'll get back later with those figures from "Road and Track".

Kevin Mc
9000 Moderator
1991 9000 Carlsson 2.3T

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YES I'M FINALLY HERE!!!!! THANX AGAIN!!!! Kevin I really appreciate all you've done so far,you're a BIG help!! Hope u dont have a hard time diggin' up those old road & tracks,...I figured one of the techies would've had that info off the bat.As far as my car goes it's a (dare I say IT??),...... automatic!! So thankfully no worries with the slave(since I dont have one :p) and hopefully none with the master.The timing chain WILL be checked first and foremost,before I even touch anything else!! And I AM familiar with turbo cars having owned a mazda RX-7 TII and a mustang 2.3ltr SVO turbo,thanx for the heads-up though.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Justin - I've got my grubby mitts on Road and Track! The test I'm thinking of was actually for a 5 speed manual Hatch, but here are some of the facts/figures:

0-60 .........6.8 secs
0-1/4 mi.....15.4 secs
Top Speed....135 mph
Horsepower.....200BHP @ 5000rpm
Torque.........244 lb-ft @ 2000rpm

List Price $32,995[/b]

These cars are relatively easy to upgrade performance wise. However, I'm sure I've heard that the maximum recommened power for the Auto box isn't too much over 200BHP.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Mc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OF COURSE IT HELPS!!!! ANY info. is helpfull. HMMM it seems to be pretty damn quick!!!! Cant wait to get mine on the road and tear up the streets!! I still have the rx-7 here using my plates,hopefully it'll be sold tomorrow so I can FINALLY get my SAAB on the road!!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Do you have plates that are attached to you as opposed to the car?

In the UK, number plates are with the car, and stay the same throughout the cars life. The exception being "private plates" where people pay loads for a particular registration (e.g. 5AAB which would read as Saab and probably be worth about £10,000!) and transfer the plates to their new car.

My current car did have a private plate, though a previous owner kept it, and mine reverted to a standard 1991 UK plate.

Kevin Mc
1991 9000 Carlsson 2.3T

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
HMMM it seems to be pretty damn quick!!!![/b]
That is exactly why I like the 9000 Turbo (well one of the reasons).

People tend to have the idea that these are just big lumbering cars, and get the shock of their lives when you leave them standing. Overtaking in mine often feels like I've gone past a stationary car!

There are cars a lot faster than these Saabs, but most people do not realise how quick the 2.3 Turbo's can be!

Think my car (standard spec) is:

0-60... 6.4 secs
Top Speed....145 mph
40-60 (4th)... 5.2 secs(approx)
50-70 (5th)... 5.3 secs (approx)

Don't know the 0-100, though presume it's close to 15 seconds.

I've never seen a road test of my particular car - one day I will....

Kevin Mc
9000 Carlsson 2.3T

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the plates work basically the same,its just that if and when u take plates off a car and leave it parked on the street,its fair game for towing.Since I have no d/way or any other available "carport",I have to leave it registered and insured and parked on the street. Once it is sold and gone and I dont have to worry about it being towed away,I can take my plates from the rx-7 and SWAP the registration over to the SAAB.Then im ready for fun!!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Kevin If you can get me 5AAB for £10,000 I'll buy it,check this out 54AB on newreg.com is £86,000 I guess if you've got nearly 90 grand to spend on a plate you wont be driving a saab.saying that you could use it when the ferrari was in for servicing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.