Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So this is the situation:
Got one nice black Classic 900 T16v, very nice, very standard.
After reading a lot regarding tuning and seeing several sites offering tuning parts, I would really like to tune up my car. But honestly, I do not know where to start. Should I use a cetain order of applying tuning mods or can I go out and buy the parts in no particular order and put them in my car? Do I have to import all those parts from the U.K and/ or Sweden? I live in the NL.
Any suggestion bout how to start would be welcome. As well as recommendations of part supplier and parts.

I reckon I got to the right place for any usefull advice...

Thanx,

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Hi Tijn,

Suspension
Well in the case of the classic 900 T16.. the car handles pretty well, however.. at the age that your car is, it could benefit from the replacing of a few worn suspension components.

So some bushing changes, perhaps the addition of abbott or TSL lowering springs, and later the addition of red koni dampers (which I had fitted to a previous classic 900.. and thought they were excellent on that car).

The koni dampers can be bought at any Profile Tyre centre and carry a life-time warranty. The springs you would have to buy mail order from Trent Saab ( http://www.trentsaab.co.uk ) or Abbott Motorsport ( http://www.abbottracing.co.uk ) you could have the the profile centre fit them at the same time as your dampers.

And then get them to do a full suspension geometry set-up after that.. and you'll have a great cornering T16S!

Brakes.

The brake set-up on a 900 isn't the greatest, but fortunately you have a later model, so you can fit Trent Saab's group N Discs and Pads, or the Abbott equiv. This will generate far more stopping power once they are warmed up than you have now.. (This is what is fitted to my 9000).

Exhaust.

There are several places that sell exhausts for 900s.. Simons, Abbott, Trent Saab etc.. The Abbott exhaust os very pricy (but it's full stainless steel) and a little too noisy, it would be better to fit the exhaust as a package to an overall engine tune, but it comes down to taste.

Engine tuning.

The one I would recommend here, having driven the Felix's car and knowing the excellent reputation they've had, is the Trent Saab engine upgrade. It takes the T16S up to around 220 Horses.. the kit includes

APC upgrade, FSE power boost valve, 0.5 bar Garrett wastegate, wastegate mount plate and modified rod end, stainless steel exhaust system, anodized aluminium recirculating dump valve, dump valve mounting kit. Includes full fitting and set up (4 hours).

FITTED PRICE: £ 1175.00 + VAT at Trent Saab's place.

Felix had this done, the car is excellent and hasn't suffered one bit in overall reliability. Felix lives in the area of Rosendaal and is a member of STTE, I'm sure he'd let you have a look if you asked him on the STTE mailing list.

The other option would be to check out Sweedspeed in Neer, NL, which is what Eric vS has done.. I'm sure he can help you with that, and what they can help you with.

What I've suggested isn't cheap, however it will give a very safe, exciting car, that will still be reliable, but able to really dice with Scoobys.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Mark for your swift and very complete reply! I have some koni's 'on the shelf' bought them for another 900, but never fitted them since that 900 got a blown engine, so I reckon I start with fitting those.

The Trent upgrade is a rather big one. better combine that one with a vacation in the U.K.
Anyways, within a year or two, maybe less I might be on a 220 Bhp
We will have to see...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts