Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to get a 9000 Aero, as i want a quick comfortable car with a large boot.
Just a couple of questions though,

1) Does the aero come with any form of traction control?
2) We heard a noise on the one we drove today which my dad thought sounded like (perhaps!) a noisy alternator, it rose and dies away with the engine revs, i know that nothing electrical nore the AC was on at this point.
Does this sound familiar?

3) It had had the head gasket replaced, i don't know at what mileage, could this spell, big bills down the line?

Thanks for any help
Skiddins

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
1) Don't know,
2) Doesn't sound familiar except could be alternator as suggested. If it needs replacement, the Bosch Alternator used by Saab is esactly the same as used on a Mercedes model! Not cheap. Cost me £80 doing a special one off deal, but normally well into £150+ teritory.
3) Earlier 9000's were prone to blow headgaskets. One alledged cause was that Saab didn't originally torque heads down enough at manufacturer. Not normally a problem though on later 9000's. Replacment gasket should not be a sign of future problems if work carried out by competent technician. If it was a back street guarage I wouldn't be keen on doing the deal, but depends on the credentials of the individual car.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as i know, Viking Saab in Watford sold the car and have serviced it since new, including any faults that have come up....it also mentioned something about an ABT? Solenoid being replaced.

Skiddins

·
Registered
188 Posts
The noise you can hear could be the aux drive belt (fan belt in old terms) idler and tensioner pullys, this is a common problem they are made of plastic material with a bearing at the centre and like all bearings they wear out if not changed will distroy themselves and the belt with them if this happens the car won't have power steering,water pump, or alternator working so car could not be driven having said this not expensive to replace

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Skiddins,
If Vikings sold the car originally and have looked after it since then should be OK, if the documentation supports this that is. My Aero is a Viking sold and serviced one, and is OK.
1)Traction control......a vague memory cell in my dimed brain seems to recall something about the first cars 1993-ish having TCS, although that could have been the non-UK market cars??? Anyway, TCS is best avoided in my opinion, but, that's because I'm an ex-racer and prefer an old fashioned LSD, which my Aero now has, thanks to Abbott Racing.
2)Agree with others about the noise being the aux. drive belt/pullies.
3)Head gasket replaced, I think it depends on the reasons it needed replacing and who replaced it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
2) Off course, forgot about Idler pulley bearings being a problem. Had one done a few years ago too. Simple test - loosen tensionier and spin the pulley wheels. You will hear the noise from a worn bearing. Infact, it can often be heard with the engine running (and belt tight!) if you know what to listen for.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guy's

Aeropilot, how much was the limited slip diff.

Took the proposed car on test drive on a damp day and to say that wheel spin was a slight problem would be an understatment, whence asking about the TCS & LSD.

Is the Shhhhhht sound when coming of the power normal, i assume it was the wastegate

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Skiddins,
Cost of Quaife LSD.....er, are you sitting down....it was about £920 or could have been 940 ish......PLUS VAT.
I enquired about the cost of them when I first got the car but the cost was a put off, until, 5 months later when my speedo drive on the diff broke. Vikings said it needed a transmission strip to get at it and that would be about £900 plus VAT plus parts. So, there was not decision really, Abbott's quoting only a few quid more to supply and fit the LSD which would automatically include a new speedo drive anyway. It doesnt completely stop wheelspin, which is good in my opinion, but it does make a big difference otherwise. Sometime before getting mine done I had already driven one of Abbotts own 9000's which has the LSD in, so I new it was worth it, even at that expense. Suggest you ring Abbotts and arrange a test drive in there car and see for yourself.
Shhhtttt noise......hummnnn....mine don't do that, are you sure it's standard? Doesn't sound like it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My standard aero does have a discernable shtttt noise you can hear with the window open. It has the standard dump ( back to the system ) but am assured they all make a bit of a noise, but perhaps some more than others.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went back today to see the car (after it had been tarted up and scratches from bushes etc removed).

Before i remembered and said anything about the whining noise he said that it had a noisy pulley that was going to be replaced.....Well done guys!

I drove the car again on part of the M3 this time, smile of Cheshire cat present!, the dump valve can't be heard with the windows shut, but it is definitely there with the windows down. Sounds a bit like an 'Essex RS Turbo'.

Well, after all this, i've put down my deposit and will hopefully pick it up Saturday once it's had it's 12K service plus some dents removed etc.

Errr.....anyone want a Carlton GSI 24V with 150K ;-)
Skiddins

·
Registered
600 Posts
i've got a 9000 Aero. The Aero has a switchable TCS i.e. there is a button marked TCS so you can switch it on/off.

If its a dry day and you want to ''go for it'' then you can turn it off, otherwise especially in the wet I would recommend keeping it operative, otherwise you will wheel spin everywhere.

Mine ''schtts'' with the window open.

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.