Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I wonder if someone could give me some advice? My fuel pump is not working and I have been offered a replacement by a chap breaking a car. As I would be sold the whole assembly - sender, covers, and everything, I would like to know if it's suitable for my car.

My car -
1992(K) 9000CDXS 2l inj. non-DI non-turbo

His car -
1990 9000S 2l 16v non-turbo, don't have any more info.

Price quoted is £20, so may be worth a gamble. Any advice? Unfortunately budget is critical as my 900 is poorly as well, and I now have two Saabs both non-runners!

Thanks!

James

ps- only registered today to ask my first question, been lurking for several months! some great info and dedicated people here, i'm looking forward to contributing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Off the top of my head I would think they should be compatable. And as you say there are many gracious and informed members here who will offer more specific advice. Oh, and welcome to Saabscene!

·
Registered
552 Posts
According to my notes, Saab used the same Walbro pump on non-turbos from 90 to 7/93.

They used Bosch until 90, so if the pump on offer is a Walbro, it should fit. If it's Bosch, I don't know - you'd need to check the top fittings/connections.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just checked with Eurocarparts and they have 92 down as a different pump (and £90 dearer, too).

Don't know what the difference is, though.

German Swedish & French list it as the same pump, though.
This may be a case where a phone call/visit to your local Saab dealer/privateer might help!

Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
p/n for MY90i is 5328653 (used to be 402322)
p/n for MY92i is 5328810
They do look different as well, so it may not be worth it... except that a new fuel pump is £200+

Someone else may be able to confirm/deny...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys, even though it looks like 'cos mines a '92 I'm going to have to remove it and find out.

Still, at least I confirmed the fuel pump is definitely the problem today by bridging from fuse 22? (hazards) to 14? (fuel pump), and reading 12 volts at the fuel pump plug in the boot yet hearing no noise whatsoever...

One more related question then, as I am going to have to remove the pump and take it to German & Swedish to check I get the same one, will I be okay just covering off the hole in the top of the tank with something thick to stop the muck getting in. I may take 2 days to replace the pump if the part is not in stock at my local branch? Or is that dangerous or a foolish idea...?

Finally any tips for removing the two push-fit fuel pipes on top, I gave them a brief tug and they looked like they weren't going anywhere in a hurry!

Thanks again for all the help so far...

James

·
Registered
200 Posts
Finally any tips for removing the two push-fit fuel pipes on top, I gave them a brief tug and they looked like they weren't going anywhere in a hurry!(quote)
be carefull and make sure to lift them up straight without too much wiggling as the pipes a very brittle
also make sure the cover plate that holds the pipes down is off held on by a small torx screw hope this helps
regards redrocket

·
Registered
778 Posts
James, I would definitely cover the hole to prevent anything from falling in there - a piece of cloth, or polyethelene, etc., maybe wrap it with a rubber band.....The two plastic gas fittings are really easy to break if one isn't real careful in their removal - and if either one breaks then the amount of time spent on replacing the pump doubles! Being a right angle fitting, I'd wager that the most frequent removal failure occurs at the vertex of the angle. Therefore, it's important to apply the removal force at the vertex, otherwise a moment is created at the vertex and the plastic, which is probably fairly brittle due to age, fails. I've had reasonable success using a pair of pliers to purchase a grip at that vertex and very slowly leverage the fitting up a little - IIRC, there are two small rubber o-rings that fit around the cylindrical barrel of the fitting. Once those o-rings are past their seat, then the fitting can lifted out and aside.....hth

·
Registered
763 Posts
First - what type of pump unit is it? Is it the one which pulls out complete with the 'bucket' which houses the actual fuel pump unit....white plastic? If so, this is fairly easy to remove...the two fuel pipes connected on the top cover plate with the white (pressure) and the black (return) plastic valves are removed by carefully pushing back the plastic 'lock' upstands and gripping the each valve with a plier and pulling upwards with a GENTLE twist....do not undo the torx screw!
Unscrew the plastic perimeter ring and then pull out the pump unit...

If your actual pump body is a WALBRO unit, I have a brand new one for sale, email me for details/part No., etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
mutungi both of my 9000 fuel pumps that i have the yellow plate that locks the fuel lines in place are held in by a small torx screw with out this in place the fuel lines will not stay in place under pressure [ white bucket walbro pump] i have both styles i:e sender in pump and the early one with a seperate sender unit in the tank . what have i done wrong by removing the screw to relase the top plate ???
regards redrocket

·
Registered
763 Posts
RR,
worry not......just that it is unnecessary to remove the yellow plate and also makes re-assembly difficult....it is possible just to pull out the valves without removing this yellow plate...by pushing the 'locks' clear, also no tinkering involved with wiring socket! It is easier to pull the complete unit out of the tank and then start tinkering if necessary!

·
Registered
200 Posts
phew!!! panic over i thought i had missed something important out by removing the screw and forgot to put it back again

but your reply has put my mind at rest, i just felt it was safer to remove the plate as i have in the past snapped one . and i didnt want to snap another

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all who replied, and offered advice (and even parts!). This job is now complete, I went with GSF in the end because I rang them at 4.45pm and the pump arrived at 8.30am next morning!

For reference, my pump was marked Walbro 4021358, and the GSF part was S18605(?-website down) at £59. The hardest parts were removing the big circular locking ring-thing, and removing/inserting the pump into the rubber mounting.

I also changed the fuel filter at the same time, and the car drives really well now, its cleared up a slight hesitation I had at low revs. Some spark plugs tomorrow for the car as a treat! I need to replace my serpentine belt as it looks very worn, but am going to leave that until next week now, to let my knuckles recover...

Thanks again everyone, I only have 1 out of 2 Saabs off the road now!

James

1 - 14 of 14 Posts