Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New here. Just picked up a 2008 Saab 9-3 convertible. The car is showing many codes related to the injectors, cylinder misfires and whatnot. Running real rich with white smoke from exhaust. I obviously suspect ECU. Being new to this car, my question is what is my best course of action to remedy this. I have heard mixed reviews about sending out to have ECU remanned and know it is possible to pick up a used and operational ECU and then having it married to the vehicle and then the many options for having in programmed, Tech 2, Trionic CAN flasher with OBD Link SX. Anyways, any advice for this SAAB newbie would be greatly appreciated. Also, I live in NJ if anyone has any recommendations for tuners. Thanks and all the best!

·
Registered
26 Posts
White smoke is telltale coolant , meaning head gasket leak. Coils fail often in all Saabs for sure and give lots of codes. Look at plugs and swap coils for misfire codes and see if the code follows the coil when you move it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exhaust has heavy gasoline smell. No luck on coils. Same codes. Sent ECU To guy on EBay. Sells working Ecu’s and copies your ECU. $500 out the door. I’ll post an update once I get it in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's not bad price, they are known failure problem in those cars and can give erratic codes. One other thing can be the mass air flow sensor as well if the ECU doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Heavy gas smell is usually the ecu. Wow prices are crazy now I bought a used ecu and a clone tech 2 for less the that 2 years ago. Takes 10 minutes to load ecu off junker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

New here. Just picked up a 2008 Saab 9-3 convertible. The car is showing many codes related to the injectors, cylinder misfires and whatnot. Running real rich with white smoke from exhaust. I obviously suspect ECU. Being new to this car, my question is what is my best course of action to remedy this. I have heard mixed reviews about sending out to have ECU remanned and know it is possible to pick up a used and operational ECU and then having it married to the vehicle and then the many options for having in programmed, Tech 2, Trionic CAN flasher with OBD Link SX. Anyways, any advice for this SAAB newbie would be greatly appreciated. Also, I live in NJ if anyone has any recommendations for tuners. Thanks and all the best!
Curious as to what the outcome was. How did it all turn out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts