Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
1st post but it won't be my last.

We have a 93 9000cse turbo that the ACC system is driving me crazy, here are the symptoms, hope you can help:

-The ACC will not regulator temperture, either to hot or to cold
-Continues to blow large volume of air out of the vents even at the lowest fan setting, but only when traveling at a higher (highway) speeds
-You can never shut the air flow off, even when the system is "OFF" air continues to come in at the vents & defrost vents, especially at higher speeds

New Parts:
-Heater core
-Blower motor
-Resister Pack

No fault codes when performing self diagnosis. Does respond to calibration but never last more than a few minutes before the tempertures all start getting wacky. Thinking it's the ACC control head but at the $ of the unit I would like to have other opinions.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hi & welcome, mywifessaab. Shame it's not 'yourownsaab' though!

For starters, my suggestions are:

Re: -The ACC will not regulator temperture, either to hot or to cold

I presume that you mean temp stays around 20 - 22C mark. Check temp sensor/fan is not clogged with dust. It's the small circular vent (size of 2p piece) situated in black blanking switch location immediately left of steering column. Unit can be prised out and carefully cleaned of dust.

Re: -Continues to blow large volume of air out of the vents even at the lowest fan setting, but only when traveling at a higher (highway) speeds

Isn't this normal? The faster you drive the more air is rammed into the vents. If the fan speed does not increase then increased airflow can only be due to ram effect of external air at increased road speeds.

Re: -You can never shut the air flow off, even when the system is "OFF" air continues to come in at the vents & defrost vents, especially at higher speeds

This is normal.
To shut external air off temporarily (say if behind dirty belching diesel lorry/bus) use the 'recirculation button'. Alternatively, you can set air to face vents and turn these off individually, BUT make sure that the fan is OFF.

Hope this helps.

At this time of year we should all be running with our ACC systems on with mid to high fan speeds! But the spring forecast of a 'scorching' summer has been a bit of a damp squib here in old blighty! At least global warming has made the rain warmer

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ahh.. must get this in again..:

Yet another reason why AC (Air Con - i.e. manual heater/vent controls with cooler on/off button) is a better option than ACC (Automatic Climate Control).

ACC II 'would' be better if you didn't have to keep adjusting it. Having to adjust ACC II just once or twice during a trip completely negates the benefit of 'AUTO' climate control.

The shame is, whereas I could set up the AC system on my previous '94 9000 with just a few deft switch settings, and get the ideal set up, I am having to adjust the inadequate (though perfectly functional) ACC II system on my '98 9000 - which completely defeats the object of it!

Not to mention the fact that ACC is much less reliable than ACC and MUCH more costly to fix!You can't even tell the fan speed on the ACC II system, and I won't bore you with a list of other inadequacies of the system.

Those of you who have the older Saab AC system, count yourself better off.

Having said that, I have noted many 'non-saab' drivers simply don't know how to adjust heater controls properly, (e.g. some wonder why the screen keeps misting in winter when the vent is blowing into the foot wells, etc
), but that off course doesn't apply to Saab drivers who know how to fully operate a car properly!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
PaulD,Why do you find it neccary to keep adjusting your ACC11? When mine was working,I never found the need to alter it at all,temp kept constant,air automaticly directed where it was needed,and fan infinitly adjustable should you need it,best system I have ever used,only short coming,cold air not as cold as others,but this could be a fault in my system.
Mike

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
PAulD, I'm with MikeH on this. I find the ACC on my '91 9000 to be excellent*. I set it to the temp that I want and seldom have to change it, season to season. It automatically sends the right airflow to the right area of the vehicle to suit the conditions.

*Especially since I had it recharged today. Cool again at last

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses..here are some of my thoughts:

There is no way that air should continue to blow out from the vents/defrost/feet area when the system is "off". Something is not closing off. Also if my ACC was working properly & adjusting fan speed & air temperture like it was designed to do then in my case it would be very hard to regulator fan speed & temperture control at highway speeds because my air volume get's greater as the car speeds up when the fan is blowing in it's lower limits. It would get to cold or hot because it cannot regulate fan speeds at highway speeds.

If the in car temperture sensor is sucking air in (check with smoke) is it possible it's not reading temperture?

Thanks again & thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just read all the above with greaaaaat interest, as my ACC displayed very similar symptoms this morning.

Saab 9000 1990 2.3cds

Switch ignition ON and cold air was billowing out of the vents. Tried to turn fan speed selector down, LED moved down in accordance with my selection, but Fan remained at full blast.

Tried to use the OFF button to kill the cold air, but that too seemed to light up to acknowledge my request, but did not do anything else (ie: cold air still blowing at force 9, freezing me!).

Managed to check other features of ACC, even though the OFF/Fan Speed Selectors where not working, and the direction buttons work, and the heating element works (managed to thaw out!). So it would seem that the only issue remains with the FAN SPEED SELECTOR.

Having checked the fuse box, I have now removed the FAN FUSE, which is my little work around but looking for a more permanent fix.

Be grateful for any ideas/comments....

Graeme

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need to change your heater blower motor resister pack/control unit. My Saab had the same issue's & it was solved by replacing the resister pack. It might not be a bad idea to replace your heater blower motor also, depending on you mileage. High resistence in a old blower motor can cause excess heat on the new resister pack & prematurely cause it to fail.

My problem is different. I can adjust the blower motor speeds using the fan push-buttons, but even on the lowest setting there is too much air coming in at highway speeds only, around town the fan speeds performs normally. The faster you go the more velocity you get from the vents even though the fan is working on low speeds or even if the whole system is switched "OFF"

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
QUOTE: PaulD,Why do you find it neccary to keep adjusting your ACC11? End QUOTE.

Many reasons, not least because of the following standard features (e.g. system is fully functional) exist in AUTO mode:

1) If sun pops out from behind cloud on warm day, air flow auto changes from floor/face vent to face vent only. Hence speed of air flow onto face/body auto increases, and is unpleasant necessitating reduction in fan speed or manual change back to floor/face vent. (NB1: If we do not care where the air blows this is not a problem - but I do care. NB2 Not much sun in Britain tthese days so not such a problem !!)

2) Temp set at 20C in Econ Mod equates to Temp setting of 22 or 23 in Auto Mode (i.e. with ACC ON).

3) Jump into hot car on warm day and fan auto boosts to full speed/noise level. I'd rather open windows at start off to let hot air out rather than run fan at FULL boost.

4) Jump into cool car on day with external temps below 10C (approx), and after a few seconds the fan speed auto increases blowing COLD air onto screen and towards face! I'd much rather increase air flow (from a slower setting) onto screen (and hence towards my face) when it wasn't so cold. (But if you like cold air on your face on a nice cold morning, fine )

5) Press 'screen only' mode button to prevent front screen misting (or lightly demist) and it goes into FULL speed mode, when only a medium speed is necessary.

etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Pauld,your system must be VERY sensative to the solar sensor,mine is certainly not as,
2) I have never noticed any differance between the two.
3) Thats OK with me
4)Mine stays low untill warm air is available,then increases speed,at presant blows cold all the time in Auto!
5) Again something that does not happen on mine,usually goes to demist on its own and I have not noticed any great increase in speed.
Given the above,no wonder you need to fiddle.
Mike

·
Registered
413 Posts
You can 'customise' the ACC settings; you don't have to have then set as per factory. It could be that one of you above has had the settings altered by a previous owner which could explain the difference.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Mike H/Harvey.

I had previously 'reset' all programming of the ACCII system and reprogrammed it to start in the mode I require.

It is interesting though that Mike H's experience of non-programmable 'auto mode' functions are somewhat different to my '97/98' production car.

I also appreciate that some folks don't care much about what their ACC system does, but in my case, the manual temp/vent switched system with std AC button was a much better option. As I say, any need to manually adjust an ACCII system completely undoes the benefit of the 'auto system', which compounded by reliability issues and potential replacement cost, makes the earlier AC system a better option by far in my experience. Still, I can only imagine that the newer 9-5 system is better. At least with it you can tell what the fan speed is set at!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
There is no way that air should continue to blow out from the vents/defrost/feet area when the system is "off".[/b]
Be assured this 'is' normal. 'Off' simply turns the unit off, and leaves the vent controls in the last set position. Hence external air will still flow in depending on vehicle and wind speed/direction, etc.

If the in car temperture sensor is sucking air in (check with smoke) is it possible it's not reading temperture?[/b]
Yes. Good test. Smoke should definately be sucked in through the grill if the fan is not clogged and working properly. In this case, the internal temp sensor would just be measuring the local tempreture behind the dash, which may or may not be the same as within the car. Big differences will occur though, especially when the sun shines (yep, it does occassionally in the UK )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by mywifessaab:
[qb]You need to change your heater blower motor resister pack/control unit. My Saab had the same issue's & it was solved by replacing the resister pack. It might not be a bad idea to replace your heater blower motor also, depending on you mileage. High resistence in a old blower motor can cause excess heat on the new resister pack & prematurely cause it to fail.[/qb][/b]
My problem is different. I can adjust the blower motor speeds using the fan push-buttons, but even on the lowest setting there is too much air coming in at highway speeds only, around town the fan speeds performs normally. The faster you go the more velocity you get from the vents even though the fan is working on low speeds or even if the whole system is switched "OFF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.