Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this has been covered before so I will apologise in advance, but I can’t seem to find the answer having done a search.

I have just about convinced myself to upgrade my 2001 93 lpt with a Maptun Stage 1, steering rack clamp/brace and track control arm bushes. Having searched through these forums I have noticed much talk of the APC solenoid, currently not fitted to my car. The advice seems to be that this should be done when I do the upgrade. Question is, does the Maptun stage 1 include this? If not where can I get one, how much, etc. as I can’t seem to find it on Elkparts.

Finally is the clutch and gearbox the same on all 93’s or should I be concerned about the clutch going, somewhere down the line?

Many thanks in anticipation

Andy

·
Registered
360 Posts
The APC solenoid is a major part of the upgrade - certainly Speedparts supply it in the kit and I'm sure that Maptun will too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been back onto the Maptun website and there appears to be a difference between Trionic 5 (pre 2000) and Trionic 7 (2000-2003). The pre '00 stage 1 upgrade comes with a solenoid valve, the post'00 does not. I assume (always dangerous) this mean that my car has one fitted? Could anyone tell me what it looks like and where it is fitted so I can check?
Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
the APC Solenoid in the picture is completely different from a C900 T8 or T16 one......
The 9K ones might be the same as 9-3 & 9-5 one`s but I`m not 100% sure...

Paul

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2000 93 lpt does not have one, and one was not added by Abbott when the ECU was upgraded. Apparently its simply not needed with the quality of UK fuel.

Slightly OT, but how can I tell if I have T5 or T7? Is it the DI cassette colour (which is red)?

Bob

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
You will need the APC valve to upgrade an LPT to FPT otherwise it will alway runs as a slightly modded LPT(around 165/170bhp rather than 227+bhp) - I know as my APC on a FPT was not working for some time after I upgraded and I sure can tell the difference now.

T5's had a red DI cassette and T7's, black, though I believe it has been discussed here that a black cassette can run on T5 but not the other way around. Can't quite remember if it is to do with knock sensors or not.

Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
Curious. My lpt is running 197BHP with no APC. I guess that if the ECU was set up to work with an APC then failure of the APC would be a problem (running at base boost?).

Bob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts