Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed two new tyres (front) and a new rear wheel where it had been curbed very badly and the tyre would not hold presure for long. Well I added up the cost of two tyres and a new 3 spoke saab rim (15") and thought, nahh, new 17"'s with tyres it is...

They arrived last week and after a bit of trolly jack action they are on... WOW what a difference 17"'s and decent tyres make... Its great.. And they are a great looking wheel I think too.... Will post pics when I can..

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Ant9000turbo:
[qb]WOW what a difference 17"'s and decent tyres make..[/qb][/b]
OK, two questions. How much dosh? and what's the ride like? I'm thinking about doing something similar but I'm umming and aahing over 16" vs. 17". Mine is still a family car and needs to be comfortable for long journeys etc, while still sticking like glue around the corners when I haven't got all the family on board...

Anyone tried both 16" and 17"?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest on 'normal' driving I dont think comfort is effected at all. If anything from a drivers point of view its better because the steering feels more responsive.
What I did notice is MUCH better grip off the mark, MUCH better round corners and coming off roundabouts it used to torque steer all over the place but now it seems more controlable..
I too have a family (baby is 10 mths old) and I was worried about that too, but really, the type of driving you do with the littleones in the car there really is no difference..
The only thing you may notice is slightly more tyre raw, but thats gonna happen with any larger tyre. I did have 205/60 R15's now I have 215/45 R17 they stick like glue..
Price:
I got them from Rochford Tyres , They seemed very reasonable and offer a range from £475 for 4 wheels and tyres to £800+. Total I paid was £475 for Wheels and Tyres + £20 delivery (which was delivered the next day) and £15 for a tyre size upgrade as the wheels came stock with a 205/45 and I needed a 215/45.
FYI I got the WolfRace Voodo II's and they look GREAT!!
Hope that hepls...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
voodoo's a good strong wheel and well finished

my son bought some for his n*va and the car has been written off a long time ago but the wheels are still going strong.. after 5 years still look like new (unlike my allesio ones which after a year need refurbed )

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by PHudson:
[qb]What did "premium economy" tyres turn out to be? [/qb][/b]
Sorry for the delayed reply.
Yeah that was my only concern. Well I went with it and the tyres are as follows:
Nankang Sport NS-1.
They do do a Toyo Proxy upgrade for about £160 I think, but I thought i'd just try these (cos I can get tyres cheap anyway) and they are supprisingly very good. So much so that I have no problem with them at all. Seem to have excellent grip all round. When I spoke to the bloke at Rochford before I bought them, he said they are the tyre that go on some Skylines from factory, and searchin the net I think he is right...
HTH

Ant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts