Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a lovely set of TSW 17" wheels for my 9000, complete with Falken 214/45/17ZR all for under £500.00 brand new !

Anyone give me an idea of what pressure the tyres should be set at ?

I was thinking of around 28/30PSI, any advice would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by StanleyB:
Posted by MarkA:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.2bar on my 9-3

That'll be 32PSI then. But the question was in relation to a 9000, not a 9-3  .

Same tyre size.. same weight... big deal?  [/b]
Different handling. It could be just me
, but the 9-3 is less forgiving in the handling and cornering department when fed with improper tyre pressures on daily road driving. I have no track experience, so I couldn't say if that's the same on the track.
But if I am wrong, I stand corrected .

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
There's no "right answer" to this question. I would experiment with pressures between 28 and 35 psi (unladen).

The best pressure will be a compromise between handling and ride comfort, and will vary from tyre to tyre as well. Try some different pressures and see how you get on.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Give them 30 and see how the week goes, then drop or raise by 2 psi and see what diff. there is.

I have a 9k with BFG 205/55-16 when set to 33 and above the car is on ice at 28 or below, parking is hell, 30 is just right with no ware as yet after 3000 miles or so.
they say set psi to tire size but some makes need a bit of help.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'll go with heyes on this, 28 front and 26 rear works a treat on my Aero with same sizes as yourself. Rides nicely over smaller imperfections and did last years Saabscene trackday with no bother as well.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I was running 28/28, but the front tyres were wearing unevenly. I increased to 30 all round and time will tell as to whether they wear differently.

Ride on the motorway actually seems to have improved on my car.

Tyres are 215/45/17 Toyo Proxes TS-1.

Standard Aero pressure should be 35 according to the manual, but that is way too much with 17's (really uncomfortable). I believe that dealers had advised in the past to lower tyre pressure on Aero's for those suffering from a poor ride & certainly Abbott suggested that this was higher than they need to be.

Oh, I'd advise to get a accurate tyre pressure gauge as many garage meters are way out.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Minimum recommended for 9-5s on 225/45/17 is 35F/ 33R - OK the car is a bit heavier but the tyre also has a greater air volume. I run mine at 37F/35R as the lower setting tends to allow the sidewall to fold under itself if (when! ) I give it large
& consequently they wear badly on the outer shoulder. I wouldn't have thought less than 30-32 on a 9000 would be much cop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm driving 2.8 bar in my bridgestone pp-s03 215/45zr17.
This was advised by bridgestone. Michelin en Pirelli also give similar values for this tyresize.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm driving 2.8 bar in my bridgestone pp-s03 215/45zr17.
This was advised by bridgestone. Michelin en Pirelli also give similar values for this tyresize.[/b]
Erik, That's 40.6 psi, which seems very high

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Originally posted by fliptop:
[qb]I wouldn't have thought less than 30-32 on a 9000 would be much cop. [/qb][/b]
It helps the low speed ride of the 9000, which suffers with 17" tyres, to be at or below 30psi. My 9000 Aero has a measured front/rear weight distribution of 58/42% with full fuel and two occupants so it makes sense to run the rear slightly at slightly lower pressure.
My experience of running at these pressures (28 front/ 26 rear) for the last eighteen months as well as at last years Saabscene trackday in both driving rain and on a dry track has shown me that these pressures work nicely.
Nick.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I was running 30 psi front and back at Elvington and completely wrecked both front tyre sidewalls..no letters left at all. I reckon to stop the tyre collapsing onto the sidewall under hard cornering then pressures should have been higher and will go back to 36 as Ylee recommends, no significant sidewall damage on his tyres after Elvington....no tread left though after he switched his tcs off though

1 - 20 of 21 Posts