Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having serious traction difficulties on 225 45 R17 Kumho 712s.

"Innovative, dynamic design and racing experience is what distinguishes this product. Optimal traction and a good behaviour in wet conditions make any long drive a routine."

My routine now is to try and keep one wheel spinning all the way to work in the morning! These tyres are poor in the dry and dangerous in the cold and damp. They're also hyper sensitive to tyre pressure, damper settings and all but the smoothest road surface.

I figure I have three choices:

1. Spend more cash on a new set of tyres (Goodyear F1s?)

2. Spend lots more cash on a limited slip diff and wait for the tyres to wear out (can lsds be sourced second-hand?)

3. Continue to suffer my wife's car for family trips (she think's the Saab is dangerous!)

Your comments are welcome.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Chouet,
Goodyear F1's are good but...a sympathetic, smooth right foot is necessary when the road surface is less than optimal, you can only do so much with front drive and loads of torque. I think these should be your first step towards a better all-round experience, braking in wet conditions should be better too!
From recent experience a LSD is hard to beat, start saving the pennies!
Nick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello Chouet,

In my experience you get what you pays with tyres and cheap ones are generally [expletive deleted]!

I agree with what CD says about an LSD, It's the best mod I've done to my car.

As for tyres the Eagle F1's I've got on my 9K are v.good, so I rekon your best bet Is to get some decent rubber & an LSD, you'll be v.impressed with the result.(Altough your missus won't be for spending all that dosh!)(

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Neither- almost.

The traction problems you're having are almost certainly down to the time of year more than anything else.

It's a common problem with performance tyres; below around 7 deg C they become hard and consequently less grippy. Add a bit of moisture/grease to the road and you're on a hiding to nothing. That's not to say that other tires won't offer better grip, just perhaps not as much as you might hope for.

However in warmer times then yes, you would definitely benefit from different tyres. Basically, as a rule, price=traction. The premium tyres from the big name brands do perform better. You will find that lots of folk recommend their personal favourites. Mine happen to be Bridgestone S03's.

I fitted an LSD to my 9K some time back, mainly as I thought then to help wet/cold traction problems. As it turns out, it's of marginal benefit in such conditions but far more use in high power cornering. There is also a downside to it in slippy conditions- instead of losing one wheel to spin, you lose both when it happens, which gives you a major steering problem

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments and advice

I'd put the lack of traction down to recently finding the lost
, but on reflection, braking performance has gone off too (i.e. down to the cold weather). Since reading your post, I've found reviews suggesting the Kumho's are OK as long as it's not cold, but traction free when it is.

Unless someone recommends ultra high performance tyres that will work reasonably well over the winter, I wonder whether the sensible choices are now:

1. Get a set of high performance all season tyres (which one could argue may still perform better than the Kumhos in the summer)

2. Put some good winter tyres (e.g. EAGLE ULTRA GRIP GW-3) on my spare 15 inch rims which would be half the cost of equivalent 17 inch winter tyres

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Do the winter tires. The H rated types are still good for 130 mph and give plenty of dry road traction below 40 F. And if there is any snow and ice, you'll be much better off on them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree with eric in principle about going for the H rated tyres..........I just have a nagging doubt about what your insurance company would say if you needed to make a claim.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i would opt for some good winter tires and save up for an LSD later on.

i have had great luck with Bridgestone Blizzak and Yokohama Guradex in the winter. i am currently running four Nokian snow tires on the 9000 and they feel good as well, although a bit rough on dry pavement.

if you want better year-round tires, look to Dunlop. i have had great luck with SP Sport W10 and SP5000 on my Contour GL and Contour SVT. the W10 are very sticky and handle great in the wet. NOT made for snow, tho.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am shure that a nice set of winter tyres will help your problem ASAP! And if they will not solve your problem then your either driving to fast for the roadconditions or you should get a 4 wheel drive car!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
absolutely nothing better than limited slip when your talking traction...especially thru turns.

but for an inexpensive solution...the tires are best..particularly tires for the season. Snow or rain tires are relatively inexpensive, because of their limited use.

but if you've never had lsd...can be addictive..

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Originally posted by DC_SAAB:
[qb]but if you've never had lsd...can be addictive.. [/qb][/b]
But also has a couple of side effects, especially on a FWD car...

IMO don't go for an LSD unless/until you already have the very best tyres for your car.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Eric van Spelde:
[qb]IMO don't go for an LSD unless/until you already have the very best tyres for your car. [/qb][/b]
I absolutely agree! The (tiny) contact patch between the tyres and the road is the main factor for the handling of the car. Only when you have optimised this should you start tuning the transmission and chassis. When traction is very poor, an LSD can be an awful thing to have. I speak from experience of using my 9000 Aero with LSD in winter months (no ice - just temperatures too low for optimum traction with summer tyres in the UK). You have never experienced severe understeer until both front wheels break away simultaneously under power while cornering.

LSD, traction control - they're only useful when you reach the limit of traction. And increasing that limit is always the best first option...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
LSD, traction control - they're only useful when you reach the limit of traction. And increasing that limit is always the best first option...  [/b]
I have LSD and pretty good tyres, my problem now is my rear....Anyone remember Anglesy
hopefully it's all sorted now.

Andrew
PS, Bill you should be in bed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts