Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i just got my first Saab two weeks ago, a 2001 9-3 SE. I saw a few different ECU upgrades out there, a PPC one by BSR from genuinesaab.com, one from Maptun and one from a company called Hirsch. I live in the US if that makes any difference. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene!!

Unfortunately you have asked a tuning question on the day that most of the UK members who use these things have gone away for the Saabscene organised trackday. They will start to return towards the end of the weekend when you will get a lot of advice.

In the meantime you could find the answers by searching the board for Maptun or Speedparts (BSR is similar I believe) or Hirsch. Search button is top right of page.

In Europe Hirsh have a reputation of being good but expensive, and are the Saab approved tuner, which in many countries means that using their stuff will not affect warranty.

·
Registered
494 Posts
www.saabperformanceparts.com

the above site is based in Connecticut. i have purchased red series APC,EPROM and injector upgrades for my 92 900T from this company as well as engine mount upgrades and i have been very happy with their parts and service. this is a small shop that specializes in Saab tuning and repairs. I have personally spent several hours on the phone with the owner (name escapes me atm) and he has been able to provide me with excellent information, answering all of my questions and helping me pick the parts that will best suit my driving needs.

red series ECU upgrade for 200-01 Saab T7 9-5 and 9-3 listed at $895.

telephone number is listed under "contact info" i do reccommend giving them a call

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hirsch might not be able to offer anything for a US spec 9-3. For me to get my 1999 9-3 programmed by them, I had to go there to get it custom written at their shop in Switzerland. If you go for one of their Europe spec ECU programs, you will probably end up with a permanently lit CHECK ENGINE light. I may be wrong but I think that the only US spec eCU they developed is for the 9-5 that they sell through the dealers in the Saab Performance by Hirsch program, although it may be worth asking them just to make sure. Your car will be a T7 model, so my program will not work on yours. If you had a T5 car, they could offer you either my stage 1 program, or what I have now which is equivalent to about a stage 3. And yes, they are expensive, but to many of us, worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts