Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people I have got 1992 9000 Carlsson and have had it for nearly a year it has had nearly
£8000 spent at Abbott Racing but on the reciepts they are vague in saying what has been done, but there was one reciept for an engine conversion but not sure on what was done, I think I will try calling them to get more info.

Has anyone change their intercooler on the 9000, I was thinking of buying the high-flow one from Abbott next week but as it's over £500 I want to know the full benefits it will give the car.

Also are there any meetings around Berkshire,
I am just round the corner from Heymill Saab.

All the best Paul K

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Paul and welcome to Saabscene

Amongst other things, I have had the Abbott intercooler fitted, and it made a very noticable difference to response and top end power- as you would expect. The slight downside to it is that it does tend to make the engine run warmer as it's blocking more of the airflow to the radiator.

The most likely engine conversion your car will have had is new head, which will either have been simply flowed and ported or have had big exhaust valves too.

Abbott should be able to look up the exact work done on each invoice from the job cards, although I suspect this may not be a quick task.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I would expect with £8000 spent every conceivable mod should have been done...I'm very surprised it doesn't have the intercooler upgrade. I would expect 17 rims, ap brakes, koni suspension, poly bushes everywhere, gas flowed head, APC/DI upgrade, water injection, dump valve etc etc and I'd throw in a LSD and gearbox build also

Oh, and a big welcome...us Carlsson owners are thin on the ground!!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Well.. when you throw in an engine rebuild..i.e. shafts, pullys, bearings and chains, plus head gasket etc.. you'll find that 8K doesn't buy all the lovely stuff you mentioned above Mark(in Ireland)

I'm sitting at around 8K GBP for all the mods on mine.. and i've yet to pay for the gearbox rebuild that my car will have next week.

This is my car : http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb....c;f=24;t=000005

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My Abbotised car had £2400 worth of invoices and this was to take engine out replace timing chain and balance chain, tensioners the whole 9 yards, take head off,skim and gasflow and refit. Fit Abbott dump valve, new wheel bearings, bushes etc so unless the prices have trebled recently I reckon Paul has bought himself a nigh on totally rebuilt car or loaded with goodies!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi Paul,
welcome to saabscene,
I too have a Abbott racing Saab, but mine was bought as a project
its a classic 900 8v turbo...
cheers Paul happy saabing

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by Bussman:
[qb]Hi Paul,
welcome to saabscene,
I too have a Abbott racing Saab, but mine was bought as a project          
its a classic 900 8v turbo...            
cheers Paul happy saabing [/qb][/b]
What did Abbott do to your 8VT

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone,
I know the car has got 17 inch Azevs, polybushes all round and Koni's, a full abbott exhaust system, dump valve, bleed valve, different ecu, head work. I don't know about the internals of the engine this is what I was trying to find out from abbott but at the time I think they were busy (when are they not!) I will have to try them again today, I have changed the front discs to grooved and drilled the rears the same, also fitted uprated engine and gearbox mounts.
A new clutch and it is in at the moment having a gearbox rebuild for the 2nd time in two weeks because the first time the company rebuilt it the speedo stopped working took it to Heymill Saab and they said it's the speedo drive in the box so its back at the company having the box rebuilt again!

Wil speak to you soon all the best.

Paul K

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi johnw,
all Abbott racing have done for my 8v turbo is..
keep it low milage and one owner..
its a my1987 with 106k on the clock...
looks very genuine and clean and very fast
cheers Paul

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Welcome to the board Kang

Any pics of the Carly? Sounds awesome.

Here's my old 2.3 Carly:

MarkA - I've not seen the pics of your car until now - I've seen pics of the car when you first got it, but it now looks superb. Excellent job that man

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
MarkA - I've not seen the pics of your car until now - I've seen pics of the car when you first got it, but it now looks superb. Excellent job that man  [/b]
Hmm, all it needs to finish the job is a boot spoiler .. or maybe not, I'm never sure whether or not I like mine.

Anyway, here's my old Carlsson. It wasn't the best example, but I still think it looked the dogs do-dahs.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Forgot to say - are these wheels:

available in the Netherlands to buy new? They look like Carlsson alloys, which are very hard to get hold of here.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, very nice Carlssons chaps I do have some pics of mine but I am not able to post on the web as not got the equipment to do it.

I used to have a g reg Carlsson in black but have now sold it to my friend, the one I have now is a 1992/1993 but it's the aero shape not the older 9000 shape, I have asked Heymill Saab about this Carlsson and they said that they are quite rare.

Has anyone else seen a Carlsson in and aero shape?

Cheers, All the best Paul

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Kang:
[qb]Has anyone else seen a Carlsson in and aero shape?[/qb][/b]
Yes, I've seen paulmanchester's '92 CS Carlsson. Very nice it is too, in metallic grey. I do like the CS Carlssons, as they look a bit more subtle than the earlier ones.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
kevin...
thats what it looks like without the bashes
we will be rebuilding it over the winter as it needs a lot of tlc..
both in the body and engine department
also I think the di is on the way out
(guy I bought it from had fitted champion plugs )
It will be back to std by next year ..

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]kevin...
thats what it looks like without the bashes    
we will be rebuilding it over the winter as it needs a lot of tlc..
[/qb][/b]
Bashes? - were they there when you bought it or was that at Anglesey?

I think Paulmanchester's CS Carly looks great too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts