Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up guys, i was just recently tuning my mitsubishi galant and then it died on me, so now im getting a new car. im actually a more of a japaneese car person but i think my father is making me get a saab. not that anything is wrong with a saab, its just not really my style if you know what i mean. but anyway this car is a 1997 Saab 900 SE 4 door hatchback Turbo. It's an automatic and its fully loaded. I really don't know what my options are peformance wise. I'd like to start out on a full cat-back exhaust system but i honestly can't find one that they would make for this car. If you guys could help me find one that they sell in america that would be great. If they do not sell a cat-back system for me, what i'd like to do is get a universal muffler and me and my buddies can work on some custom pipes...but obviously that would take much work and be a lot more expensive.

secondly, I took a look at the intake and air box and found that its pretty long for a stock intake. i was wondering if they made a nice intake for it, preferebly cold-air, or if maybe another intake that was made for a GM 2.0 DOHC would be able to fit on it.

I'm sure that I would be able to find other engine rebuild parts myself that shouldn't be so hard such as spark plugs, pistons, a blow off valve and probably headers.

one big concern is an intercooler. i would like to put a good old top mount intercooler with ram-air on this bad boy and was wondering if you guys knew a good place to get an intercooler made for this turbo and motor. with that obviously i'd have to go with a custom hood, but i do not think that should be a big problem.

it would be so awesome if you guys helped me out on this...please let me know if you've found anything!

on another note for looks wise, i dont believe that they make a body kit for this car...but they they do could you please tell me? thanks!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, p slizzle slice.

Here's an example of a sports intake for a 900/9-3:
http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb....c;f=13;t=000974

Regarding your intercooler, why on earth would you want to place it above the engine? The standard position gets plenty or "ram air" and benefits from being in a relatively cool air flow rather than surrounded by the heat of the engine, thus reducing its efficiency. However, performance can be increased by replacing the original intercooler with a larger one, for example the type used on the 9-3 "Viggen" (refer to this thread).

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Hi there.

A good performance store is Speedparts SE. They are based in Sweden, and fortunately have two distributers in the USA.

They sell everything you could ever want to help tune your 900.

http://engstrom.net/index3.htm
Based in Chicago.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/
Taliaferro Saab, based in Springfield MO.

A full 3'' exhaust including sports CAT is available from either of these two.. a very good investment if you are going to build the power (Helps keep EGTS down)

Full suspension kits are available from both of the above.

Custom headers are not really required to produce more power, because it's a turbo engine, however gas flowing the head and oversizing valves will help... look for a good engine shop for that.

Cold air intakes are available from both vendors above.. a good one is the BSR optiflow... the existing airbox is easy to remove.

There are a few different body kits available... from the wild, to the nice.. (The Viggen body kit can be made to fit the 900).

Engine/Turbo mapping upgrades via chip-tuing are available in various great stages from the guys above.

As far as the intercooler goes.. the spot where Saab mount it is the best. however.. you should replace yours with a cross flow intercooler (i.e. the intercooler thats fitted to the Viggen), for better effeciency.

Basically with a few mods you can take your car from around 185HP to over 250HP pretty quickly.

However if you're gonna do that--- fix the suspension first.

for more tips on 900 tuning.. have a look at Eric's site -

Eric's Saab Site

And indeed you may find, http://www.performance-saab.com to be of use..

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Welcome to SaabScene p slizzle slice

Originally posted by p slizzle slice
I'm sure that I would be able to find other engine rebuild parts myself that shouldn't be so hard such as spark plugs[/b]
Word of warning don't use anything other than the recommended stock NGK plugs. The SAAB Direct Ignition system was designed for these plugs and uses the composition of the plugs to monitor the engine. Use any other plugs and you will find a dip in performance and, more important, you will end up frying your DI Cartridge. They ain't cheap to replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow thanks a lot guys, you were a lot of help. i seriously didnt think that you could do that much to a saab, im really impressed. and wow im really feelin that body kit on the genuine saab site. this is really great. and thanks for the heads up on the spark plugs.

oh yeah that top mount intercooler stuff...i mean i know its not as good as front mount, but u know i wanted to be different and have a nice looking hood that had a funtional hood scoop (for the intercooler) but anyway..thanks a lot guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts