Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If you just want to replace the timing chain, a new chain can be "wound on" with everything in place. However, what are the symptoms? How do you know it's the timing chain not the balance chain? How many miles has it done? How long are you going to keep it?

When mine went funny, it turned out to be a sprocket on the balance shaft chain that had worn allowing the chain to jump and the balancer shaft to become an inbalancer shaft.

Give us more info please.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark,

The car has done 148k. Last time it was in WMSS, I was advised the chain was slightly noisy on start up- since then the sound is more slightly more pronounced and I am worried about it failing! It sounds like a loose rattle from the chain end of the engine, it lasts for around 15 seconds then slowly dissapears.

I intend to keep the car for at least another couple of years- its been very well looked after and is in A1 condition (now the gearbox has been rebuilt and the engine mounts changed!)

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
WMSS, who/where's that?

Mine needs doing but I'm cautious that it's all very well just changing the chain but what's the condition of the sprockets and guides?

A new chain on old worn sprockets is usually a bad idea.

David.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts