Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had a new battery fitted to my 9-5, but it struggles to start. The battery is a GM battery, like-for-like, fitted by a Saab Dealer (North Motors in Cheriton, UK).

On my old battery, the car computer always showed 15.1V, the lowest I have observed it since new was at 14.8V (until it totally failed). This new battery at its max has shown 13.9V and is now showing 12.4V. I had mentioned to the garage that I would rather have a battery with 800A CCA but they said that the correct replacement as advised by SAAB is the one with 720 CCA. The battery was fitted only two days ago and the car barely started this morning.

I shall contact the garage on Monday. Meanwhile can anyone tell me what their car computer shows on a 2010 2 litre TID? Also, if they have suffered a similar starting problem?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Hello , did they check the output on your alternator ?
I don't know what the charging gauge on your dashboard is connected to , but I would of thaught it was for the output from the alternator .
There are 5 oem part numbers for that battery which are -580406074.585200080.7485123546.7485123548.61212158123 , if you cross ref the above numbers , the last 3 part numbers equate to replacement Barrie's , which come out at either 720 or 800 CCA , AH85 the 720 is an S4 and 800 is a S5 .
First go back and get them to check alternator output .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lizzard-t, Thanks for the response. The new battery label shows 720CCA battery as did the prior one that failed. I measured the battery output this morning and it was 12.29V which is like 50% charged according to the WIS SAAB battery chart. I shall discuss your suggestion and the results with the garage tomorrow morning. Albeit, I am still interested to find out what the dashboard computers says for battery charge on other Saabs 9-5 TID 2010.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The garage plan to take the car tomorrow to check. While I don't know what the car computer battery gauge is connected to, what I can confirm is that the battery when measured across its terminals shows 12.4V which is the same as what the car computer gauge shows.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The garage confirms that the car computer shows the Battery voltage. They have reviewed the problem and believe that the New 9-5 has a 'smart' alternator which lets the battery discharge to a certain level before cutting-in to recharge it. That is why I see the battery voltage fluctuating from 12.3V to 14.5V on the car computer. It does not explain why my old battery always showed 15.1V which leaves one confused. My main concern is that the car should start on very cold winter mornings and at the airport when returning from travel.

Hence it would be good to know what other 2010 9-5 batteries display on their car computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts