Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go to the main index. There are several forums showing "new posts" indicators.

I enter the 9000 forum, read a new post. Back twice to the main index - all the new post indicators are gone (I can vaguely see why this is, but it's pretty useless - the uksaabs software gets it right, showing an indicator until I've read all the posts in a forum).

And while I'm whining the "hot topic" animated flame is really, really, distracting and annoying. A non-animated version would be better (IMO)

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
But the unread topics are still highlighted within the forums when you visit.

I agree that it is not as one would expect - I shall investigate as to whether this is the expected behviour.

On the subject of hot topic icons, that is what comes with the software. When you have designed an non-animated version I will upload that instead.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
I think that the new post indicator issue may be a problem with the 9000 forum itself, as the behaviour that you describe is not apparent with new topics in the car park forums, for instance.

We did have a couple of glitches with items in the 9000 forum - so the problem may be specific to that forum.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I enter the 9000 forum, read a new post. Back twice to the main index - all the new post indicators are gone (I can vaguely see why this is, but it's pretty useless - the uksaabs software gets it right, showing an indicator until I've read all the posts in a forum).

[/ QUOTE ]
I have made some changes and I think that I have fixed this glitch. My testing shows that the lightbulb stays on for 9000 forum when I have been looking elsewhere and then return to main index.

How you getting on with that redesigned hot-topic image

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]

I have made some changes and I think that I have fixed this glitch. My testing shows that the lightbulb stays on for 9000 forum when I have been looking elsewhere and then return to main index.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I think it's fixed too. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[ QUOTE ]

Yep, I think it's fixed too. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think something's still up with the General Help ad Advice forum? The indicator's cleared on that (but not on some other forums) when I return to the main index, even though it contains unread articles.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I think something's still up with the General Help ad Advice forum? The indicator's cleared on that (but not on some other forums) when I return to the main index, even though it contains unread articles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was the problem, not the desired solution? Not clear on this?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was the problem, not the desired solution? Not clear on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably not being clear. Sorry.

My understanding is the new posts indicator should tell me if there are unread/new posts in the forum.

For most forums, this seems to be true - it's just the general forum was showing no unread/new posts (even though there were some) when other forums were correctly indicating unread/new posts.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think the new posts bit is broken as well.

Look at the forum main page, and several of the sub forum pages have yellow bulbs showing new posts. Look into one, and look at them (still no button for clicking on to jump straight to the first unread post?), then come out and all the bulbs have gone dark again

Works properly on every other forum I am a member of, so must be a problem here.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Whether it is a design feature or flaw, I’m not sure, but I think what is happening is that the individual forum new posts light bulb
indicators that show in the main index page stay lit until you have visited that forum. It doesn’t matter whether you then read posts or not, when you come out the indicator has gone. Within the forum itself, the index file marker
in the leftmost column will be light yellow and remain so until you read the posts that have been updated.

·
Registered
963 Posts
That would be fine if that's what it did. But only looking in one sub forum makes every subforum show no new posts, so I have to look at time stamps etc. to tell if I need to look or not.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
That's very interesting, nutcase, because it doesn't do that for me .

I guess these problems will take time to iron out but in the meantime it's helpful if everyone can report their problems- that way bugs can be identified and hopefully sorted

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Recommendations forum is playing up for me - there was a new reply to a thread in that, but the indicator wasn't on when viewing the list of forums. It was (correctly) on for some other forums.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I've been finding in general that the new posts indicators - both the bulbs and the highlighting of new posts - work much better in Firefox than IE. Fine for me as I prefer the former, but this might be a factor for some.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts