Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the plugs in my new CSE with the correct NGK ones, gapped properly. The Bosch ones that the vendor's garage put in were gapped totally wrong! Not sure what to do with the plugs I took out, since they cost £120

Idle is much smoother now (also thanks to a bottle of injector cleaner) and I attempted an adaption run according to BillJ's instructions.

The most noticeable change is a big torque increase - it feels more like my old car now, pulls at low revs even up hills, cruises at 45 in 5th no problem, feels "eager to go", etc.

However, when you floor it, it's still not stellar. I drove my old 2.3t yesterday, and noticed how when you floor it, it boosts halfway into the red and holds there, and just keeps accelerating harder and harder.

This one feels like it has a bit of a misfire still under heavy acceleration, but even when it feels right it boosts to the top of the broken red/yellow and then backs off into the yellow. Is this just normal behaviour?

Would my old (91) 2.3t have the analogue APC that can be tweaked like I did Paco's? Maybe that's why it holds the boost. I just thought that was normal

Still love to know why there's this intermittent misfire though. It's OK in second and third - maybe with a bit of a hiccup around 2-2.5Krpm, but in fourth and fifth it feels very flat and often doesn't seen to boost much at all.

I suspect the DI still... any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably will chuck em, unless I can figure out what else they fit and I know someone who has one! As for cost, I'm joking a bit. The garage took the car for a drive, diagnosed a misfire, changed the plugs (removed NGK, fitted Bosch), took it for another drive. Total bill: £120. Glad it wasn't me paying! It probably did 500 miles tops on these... and wrongly gapped too... ouch! But if it was failing before then this would probably be the nail in the coffin

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 Total bill: £120. Glad it wasn't me paying! It probably did 500 miles tops on these... and wrongly gapped too... ouch! But if it was failing before then this would probably be the nail in the coffin    [/b]
Hows about asking the garage for a refund for fitting the wrong plugs - badly?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by JohnCC:
[qb]I suspect the DI still... any other ideas? [/qb][/b]
JohnCC, I suspect the DI still.

Last Friday I had a misfire or stutter under high load (boosting into red). I changed the APC Solenoid for a known good one - fixed problem for about 100 miles.

Julian gapped and fitted new plugs for me but still stuttered on a test drive.

So we tried Julian's spare (known to be good) DI cartridge - which fixed the problem.

Changed it back to my original APC Solenoid and fitted a brand new DI cassette - no problems now - even after the SSc trackday.

...and I suspected the DI all along before changing the other components

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]Is that on the black DI unit that's supposed to be OK or fail completely? [/qb][/b]
Yes, that is how I understand it. T5 (red DI) may fail over time, or under high load. My DI is probably perfectly acceptable for some time to a non-tuned Trionic 5 Saab.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I recently had to change my plugs as one was cracked, but I stupidly bought Champion not realising NGK's were the one, changed them to NGK after a day as addvised from others on Saabsceene.

The plug in there when I bought it were some make I'd never heard of, so I had to change the DI cart as it was damaged. It made loads of difference in performance. My local Saab tech let me borrow a new one to test before buying one, maybe yours would do the same?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.