Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just installed the polyurethane engine mount from Taliafferro and a fresh set of BCPR7ES-11 plugs in the Viggen. All I can say is
!!!! The plugs have CURED my boost problems overnight (the old ones didn't seem unusually dirty or anything), and the engine mount has made it easier to start in 1st, easier to shift between all gears, especially when accellerating quickly, and hasn't increased vibration in the cabin in any noticable amount. I wouldn't even know it had increased if I weren't expecting it; it's that small of an increase.

I'll get more pics whenever it FINALLY stops raining here in so-cal. Doing the instal in the rain was a pain in the butt, and I decided against outdoor photographs. I might take one of the old mount later tonight or tomorrow. But for now, here's a pic of the mount and box of plugs on my desk from before the instal :

Very cool indeed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]Well I just installed the polyurethane engine mount from Taliafferro [/qb][/b]
transmission mount....?
so it was worth the $150?

and what do you meen "easier to start in 1st"?..

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by iwantaviggen:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb] Well I just installed the polyurethane engine mount from Taliafferro [/qb][/b]
transmission mount....?
so it was worth the $150?

and what do you meen "easier to start in 1st"?.. [/qb][/b][/quote]Definitely worth the $150. Recently the Viggen has be "tricky" to start off in 1st gear. The slack in the engine mounts was alowing the engine to rock back and forth as you try to accellerate. It was very akward.

Now the clutch take-up is very linear because the engine doesn't move so irregularly relative to the road and chassis. It's soooo much nicer to drive. Worth every penny if your car drives like the Viggen does!

Adrian W~

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]The plugs have CURED my boost problems overnight (the old ones didn't seem unusually dirty or anything)[/qb][/b]
How many miles were on the old ones? I change mine at every service and sometimes in between if I'm going to do a track day or rolling road session - they cost peanuts, at least in the UK (about £7 + VAT for a full set).

They don't give problems through being dirty - they stay very clean in a Saab engine, especially with DI. However their electrical characteristics deteriorate, likely due to a lot of heat and a lot of electrical stress.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Are you saying that new BCPR7ES's solved your problems in place of the old BCPR7ES or is it new ones in place of the platinum standard fit plugs?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I get about 5k miles out of a set on the 9k aero. If I use them longer it will drop boost back to base boost after 3k rpm.

·
Registered
696 Posts
His DI casstte is a new one if i'm informed correctly.

Adrian are you testing something with the spark plugs? I thought there should be PFR6/7-10 plugs fitted to a Viggen.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had already swapped to BCPR7ES-11's and those are the plugs I removed. I had about 5K miles on them. They had been causing a strange boost problem since about 3K miles on them. Not reducing anything to base boost ... but acting strangely. They would "get hot" and refuse to make much boost after that. In 4th or 5th gear they just would refuse to make more than a few psi until higher revs. Very strange.

Anyway, new plugs have solved the problem. This is probably why they used the platinums on the B235R in the first place: The BCPR7ES-11's really don't last very long, even though they work well when they're new.

It's nice to have 100%
back! Just a shame it's so wet ... a real struggle for traction in the first two gears!

Adrian W~

·
Registered
374 Posts
you keep saying engine mount but i thaught that was a tranni mount....am i missing something?

[qb]Worth every penny if your car drives like the Viggen does!
[/qb][/b]
well i drive my car like its a viggen...same thing right haha

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by Injectie:
[qb]I thought there should be PFR6/7-10 plugs fitted to a Viggen. [/qb][/b]
The Viggen had indeed the platinum plugs from factory because they last longer. However their electrical characteristics as used for knock detectection are poor, which has especially on tuned engines a deteriorating effect on the boost pressure. For this reason it is advised to use the BCPR7ES plugs and change them frequently.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry. It's technically the tranny mount (transaxle if one wanted to be pedantic), but realistically the trans and engine are bolted together and it holds up both, though directly connected to the trans. If you remove it, and the other mounts aren't enough, the engine will of course fall. So really, all of the mounts should just be engine/trans mounts.

Sorry for the confusion anyway.

And yes, platinum reduces NOx by ionizing it, and since the Saab detects knock through Ion sensing that can be a bit of a problem as NOx is in high concentrations in the combustion process!!

Adrian W~

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Adrian, looking at the top pic I see a Laptop running XP in the background, but what is the software to the right of the screen, is that what I think it is and if so where did you get it?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Bacardi:
[qb]Adrian, looking at the top pic I see a Laptop running XP in the background, but what is the software to the right of the screen, is that what I think it is and if so where did you get it?    [/qb][/b]
Sorry. 'Tis only windows messenger. It was only blurred out to protect the innocent.

Adrian W~

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
OH, that all, from here it looked like engine managment managment software graph, but then my eyesite is not that good.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Bacardi:
[qb]OH, that all, from here it looked like engine managment managment software graph, but then my eyesite is not that good. [/qb][/b]
No worries. But when I get EM software, you'll know about it.
Until then, standard data-logging software will have to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts