Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a '93 9000CSE 2.0 LPT. Performance is better than I expected from such a tank and nothing has fallen off in my 2 days of ownership so I'm happy so far!

However, I do have a few questions for the experts out there.....

There is no jack with the car. I assume it should be stored inside the spacesaver wheel. Is this correct? Can anyone describe what bits go with it (handle, packaging etc) as I would like to get one from a breakers and need to know what to ask/look for!
I assume I am better trying to get an orignal saab item rather than a cheap replacement from halfords?

Second question: anyone recommend a saab friendly breakers? Either mail order or local to the Hants/Berks/Surrey borders.

Last question: The nearside rear view mirror appears massively magnify the view. Very disconcerting as you can't see other cars/cyclist etc until they are almost touching the car. Is this normal or an option? Is it practical to change the glass for a flat one?

TIA,
Toby

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Glad you like your 9000, my CSE 2.3T is my 4th and I certainly like mine ;-)
You would be best to pick up another jack from a breakers. The Saab jack is a scissors affair that locates in the jacking points under the sills. The jacking points are good and strong and the only problem I've ever met is the channel which the jack fits into can get squashed by fast fitters with trolley jacks. All Saab jacks from 99 to 900 and 9000 are the same so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one, make sure you get the handle as well. It's a 14 steel rod bent to a cranked shape with a hook at one end to locate in the jack winder.

Both the n/s and o/s mirrors on my car have a dual radius which gives a wide angle effect to the outer 1" or so. On older cars only the driver's side had this. I've never found the mirrors to have a magnifying effect, in fact the convex glass gives a wide field of veiw making tings look smaller. Maybe this is what you mean. I wouldn't be happy with a flat glass, the field of veiw is far too narrow consequently it is difficult to see what is on your rear quarter and whether it is safe to pull over.
Replacement glasses from Saab are not cheap, the last time I bought one it was over £40. I believe Halfords do a replacement glass which sticks over the existing glass (broken or otherwise) for about a tenner. I don't know if this would be any good to you or not though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Derek.

I'll get onto some breakers to see if I can find a jack. Does it fit in some sort of holder or does it just sit in the spare wheel well? (there is no obvious container or location points I can see but I wouldn't expect it to just rattle around in there)

As to mirrors, my drivers side is the dual radius your describe, the nearside certainly magnifies a lot, I haven't actually put a straight edge against it but I'm pretty sure it must be significantly concave. Very strange and useless in most curcumstances except for parking.
Anyway, it looks like you have confirmed this isn't standard so I'll look for cheap options to replace it (halfords maybe).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The jack sits between the spare wheel and rear cross member, towards the L/H side. If you look you will see a rectangular lug projecting forward from the cross member with a detent it the centre of it. The jack sits under this and you screw it up to lock it in place. I usually stuff the handle down the side of the spare wheel thoug I think it is meant to be under it which is not very convenient really.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a good question!
The little toolkit in the righthand rear wing appears to be complete, maybe is it in there? I'll check tonight.
Got what I thought was a reasonable quote (£15) for a jack. Trouble is I was quoted another £15 to deliver it! I think a check of the local scrap yards is needed!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The toolkit should include the wheel brace, a box spanner to take out the plugs, a double ended screw driver ( flat blade and cross point but includes some Torx sizes on later models) and a pair of fairly good quality pipe grips - not much really. There is also a black plastic bag to put your punctured wheel in while the skinny spare is on so that it doesn't mess up your boot!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The toolkit is complete apart from the pipe wrench. I've even got the offical plastic bag for the wheel!

Over the weekend I refitted the passenger door trim (hanging off at the top!), fixed the interior fan (Resistor connector failed) and fixed the dip beams (both bulbs not fitted properly- spring clips bent). I wonder what other little suprises the previous owner has left me :-(

On a more positive note I found the Saab well screwed together and easy to work on (once I found my torx screwdriver bits for the door!) so none of the above were difficult.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.