Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not had them forward some of the test results to me yet ... but I'm impressed by the description alone! (Very unusual to me as I'm used to a lot of snake oil salesmanship.)

Check it out! http://autosystemsinc.com/products.htm

That's the first time I've ever heard the words "boric oxide, ionic, covalent, and hydrogen bonds" all used to describe properties of the same aftermarket product.

Usually people focus on subjective aspects. I think I may buy some of the stuff if I can afford it if for no other reason than to encourage other product makers to be as scientific about things!

What do you guys think?

Dubbya~

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
sorry it looks like b00lox to me ..

I will check out the chemistry ...but it looks like buzz words and half truths wrapped up in a pseudo chemical explanation (snake oil !)

george the chemist ...(forgotton most of it !)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm having them mail me the test results ... if it's reasonably affordable, I'll consider being a guinea pig.

If it turns out to be snake-oil ... at least it was very intelligently written and thoroughly tested snake oil!

They also claim that both Mitsubishi and Volvo already use the products.

It's also not intended at the aftermarket for cars, rather it's intended for mass-fleet vehicles, and auto-manufacturers. An area where snake oil salesmanship gets you beheaded if you're not careful!

It was also reportedly used in all of the generators for the last olympic games. (Not exactly the measure if a lubricant, but interesting if it turns out to be true!)

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do make sure to share you oppinions on the stuff though George.

I have a fair chemistry background, but I certainly don't do that for a living.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Reduces friction, lengthens engine life.
• Boosts gas mileage, and cuts emissions.
• Add to your engine oil in 10:1 dilution.
• Lasts the lifetime of the engine.  [/b]
They missed out increase in power by up to 20%...always a big selling point...

I'm sold already, who do I pay....

·
Registered
778 Posts
I wouldn't trust anything that came from research done at the University of Chicago - home of the monetarists who did such a great job in Chile, not to mention the devastating effects their theories have in practice here in the US or the UK
I'm surprised, Adrian, that you'd even consider using stuff like this, especially when you're using a pretty good lubricant, like Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I won't be interested in it if they don't send me the research already.

I don't know any of the people, but some of those places were responsible for advances in things like ceramic coatings, and moly coatings and whatnot.

I just like the chemistry behind it, if I don't get any response from them I won't bother with it. If I do get a response I'll try it. Then if it doesn't work, you'll all hear about it.

But I'm still curious what ylee thinks on the chemistry. I had a bad migraine last night and wasn't able to pour over my own books either.

For whatever it's worth, I do NOT reccomend Imatrex as an anti-migraine med. I've nearly died once before, and it was an all too familliar feeling!
Others react well though. Just not me!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
208 Posts
Adrian,
It sounds very similar to Extralube ZX1 briefly discussed here.
Its similar in that both are long-term, surface adhering, friction reducing metal treatments rather than oil-additives. Both claim to displace surface contaminants such as dirt and varnishes and have a history in other industries such as marine and offshore. Given that the product you mention is not available here and it appears that ZX1 is not available over there, may be they are synonyms for the same product? How are you going to test it? If I were you I would stock up on the migraine treatment first.
You may get better results by petitioning the FTC over there to test it, as they have a long and distinguished history in exposing snake oil salesmen, particularly in the field of oil additives.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi,

Ive used zx1 in all my cars over the last 10 years, i put it in the engine, the gearbox, and the top end of engine via petrol tank and even in the radiator for water pump (0:
But i think it only has a 25000 mile limit before they recommend adding another batch.
There is a lot of info on their website and as has been mentioned , this is strictly a metal treatment and not an oil additive.
The states stuff certainly is giving off similar vibes although you always want to have a 100% feeling of yes before putting anything in your precious engine .
My initial feeling on the zx1 was 100% and the fact they have been around for so long adds credence to the products performance.

The science of the zx1 certainly makes sense and the reduction of friction is a massive yeah yeah for any high perform engine .

Adrian, i think there is a usa distributor of zx1 on their website if you dont get no feedback from those other cats.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ZX1 looks a fair bit more commercialized. I also could not find on their website any technical information on how it works.

I've never been fond of products that advertise a lot of what they do, and none of how they do it.

Still a bit more impressed by the Motor Silk, even if still skeptical.

Unfortunately the people behind motor silk do not appear to want business, as they have not yet gotten back to me. Such a shame.

Will post again if any more information presents itself.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
98 Posts
I actualy reviewed this product after seeing the news about the guy who invented the formula. He is working for a laboratory in US and seems the have various awards. Not promoting as being Turkish, it just happened to be a coincidence.
http://www.transportation.anl.gov/staff/resumes/erdemir.html

I saw some test results which are also in English on this link. They are just the importer of this product to Turkey.
http://www.motorsilkturkey.com/newdesign/testler.htm

The car was serviced recently by the previous owner and he added 444 to Mobil 1. I have no idea why? Is this OK, any experience with 444?

I don't think you need an oil additive when using high quality synthetic oil for a new engine. Additive could be a choice if you think any wear happened to your engine in few years.

If you used any additive, you may want to change your oil filter earlier as some of these additives don't probably stick to metal and your filter will be less effective due to particulars.

Stay tuned
Tufan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts