Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Iv'e had to order another dam key for the car as I lost the only one I had,and this they wanted £15
(inc'ing vat).
But what kinda miffed me was when I ordered it they guy said "is it an emergency?" I said well yea!,I dont have another to get one cut from.
He then said right then It'll be here tommorrow otherwise it would take a week,as it comes from Sweden.
Now how come something that would normaly take a week (from Sweden seemingly) can get here literally overnight.
Is he pulling my leg or what? ,anyway I'll away to get it and get this bloody car moving again.
As I'm driving her mk3 Astra just now,christ it's like driving a bogey (n' who remembers them then,anyone )

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Saab1:
[qb]But what kinda miffed me was when I ordered it they guy said "is it an emergency?" I said well yea!,I dont have another to get one cut from.
He then said right then It'll be here tommorrow otherwise it would take a week,as it comes from Sweden.
Now how come something that would normaly take a week (from Sweden seemingly) can get here literally overnight.[/qb][/b]
Because there are different priorites of shipping due to nature of requirement - since it costs a lot of money to ship items overnight from Sweden.

If it is VOR (Vehicle off-road) and neccesitates a part being supplied urgently, then it is airfreighted from Sweden for delivery the following day.

If, say, you are ordering a part or accessory for your car and it needs to come from Sweden, it is cheaper to put it on a normal stock order which will be shipped in around 4-7 days, normally.

Please do not get miffed at your dealer. Saab dealers often get a bad press, and I do not think that it is always justified.

There is nothing wrong with what the dealer has told you. This is quite normal.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well well. If all Saab wants for a replacement key is £15, I think I'll get another 2 cut, just in case! I think this must be the cheapest replacement quote I've ever come across. E.g. Fiat's Red Key; what's that cost? £100, £200+?

If this is for real, then I say well done Saab (especially if your price was quoted VOR).

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
£15 will not include any remote - that will be for the key itself.

For a spare key with integrated remote (for 9-3 and 9-5) expect to pay in the region of £50. Still better value than Fiat

·
Registered
305 Posts
The keys are laser cut and near impossible to duplicate. I ordered a spare from the dealer and it was $40.00(US).

It took about 5-7 days to receive and that' fine considering the theft deterrent in having to order a laser cut key.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh well I'll stand quiet and be thankfull that thats all the key cost.
When you put it like that I suppose £15 isn't to much to pay,after all West cars Glasgow got it very prompt from Sweden overnight.
So I guess a big thanks to the guy's there,but I will get another one "cut".

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just out of curiousity, Stephen and RedRocket, do you both have pre-1990 Saabs?

Most early ninety Saabs do have the laser cut keys which, generally, only can be duplicated by Saab.

Just wondering if your key patterns are not laser print?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My old 1990, my brothers 1991, Saabkaats 1992 and my 1996 all have identical keys... and they look very similar to the keys used in my 1980 Cavalier.

Its sort of a flatish blade with ridges down either either side.

Steve

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Replacement key for my '94 900 was £23 including the little torch thingy in the handle - sweet eh? - mind the car is black and I do have trouble locating the lock on winter nights.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Originally posted by StephenA:
[qb]My old 1990, my brothers 1991, Saabkaats 1992 and my 1996 all have identical keys... and they look very similar to the keys used in my 1980 Cavalier.

Its sort of a flatish blade with ridges down either either side.

Steve [/qb][/b]
yep steve mine is the same

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.