Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully getting my new custom 50mm I/C soon and have a couple of questions that I couldnt get clear from my searches:

1) As far as I read the AC Condenser/oil cooler are NOT bolted in any way to the I/C - So I dont need any special fittings added to my new I/C to hold it.

2) I have ordered the new I/C with the mounting pins 'centered' over the thickness.
Eg Standard I/C is 32mm thick. There is 16mm depth before and after the pins.

My new I/C is 50mm and will have 25mm of 'thickness' before and after the pins.
A few threads suggest that I might have been better to keep 16mm on the radiator side and push the I/C forward (so 34mm in front) but I'm still not 100%.

Anyone have any ideas as they are welding it up in the next day or so.... cheers!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
actually, you can push the IC back towards the radiator more, as there is a fairly large gap between the stock IC and the rad. you probably don't want the IC touching the radiator, but as close as you can get it would be better, as you run out of room faster going forwards. (i haven't personally changed the IC, but i have inspected what size i could fit... i also have the dediacated A/C fan, so i have even less room to move forwards!)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Actually, there are two long screws at the bottom that hold the condenser to the IC - this is the design used by Saab, Kylar Jonsson, and the IC used by MapTun. Also, I haven't fitted the new MapTun IC, yet, but when I did fit the KJ, which was also 50 mm, it took up the whole space between the condenser and the radiator, ie., it was right against the radiator. It also bulged the drivers' side of the radiator support, slightly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Fitted my 50mm core recently with locating pins in the center, it fits although it was a bit of a squeeze.
Everything is now closer to the turbo but no problems with bits melting
If you wanted to move the pins back i.e towards the engine you would possibly have to reduce the height of the core due to the bodywork sloping downwards above the intercooler, unless you opted not to use the lower pins and holes but then you would need to fabricate another fixing method.

Your best bet is possibly to have it fabricated as per the stock unit using the 50mm core.

Gives a nice increase in pull, mine is at about 4000rpm upwards

Steve

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Is the Abbott core 50mm? I was looking at a 9000 Aero with the abbott IC in it, and he had as much room between the radiator and the IC as a stock unit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by Grentarc:
[qb]Is the Abbott core 50mm? [/qb][/b]
No, from memory it's smaller than 50mm, can't remember what it is though.
There are people here with the Abbott one fitted...anyone got a tape measure handy?

Steve

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Abbotts is 40mm - see here

Note that the Abbott does have about 28core tubes vs about 22 on other designs - Thus I believe it flows well at the expense of a bit of cooling.

The one I am getting made is a carbon copy of the standard one (hopefully!) but its 50mm so fingers crossed it fits.
I'll call Allard today about the Aircon condenser mountings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts