Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

new idea for windshield wipers

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  BurnsSide42 
#1 ·
Hey, I was wondering if it is possible to equip a 92 9000T with a single arm windshield wiper? ...(like the way Mercedes have on their cars)?...I noticed there seems to be 3 different options to mount wiper arms...right side, middle and left side...also where would 1 find an aftermarket single windshield wiper arm and components?
On a different subject why does my gear shifter have 2 buttons on it( one on either side of it)..is that common?
Just curious I'm off work today and my mind is whirling about new options for the old girl.

#4 ·
Originally posted by gundam_007:
[qb]why does my gear shifter have 2 buttons on it( one on either side of it)..is that common?[/qb][/b]
I don't know whether it's common, but perhaps it's so they don't have to stock two different levers for LHD and RHD markets? And my dad finds it useful while driving his 9000 auto. He has arthritis in his thumb and has difficulty pressing the "proper" button. He presses the other with his finger instead.

#5 ·
Button is on either side so that they can use the same lever for LHD and RHD cars?

As to the wipers, I prefer to have the wipers mounted on the side the driver sits (whcih is what saab does).

This is so that wiper pulls up to the vertical edge of the screen giving better visibility (if you sit in the passenger side you will notice the poor visibility when the screen is wet or dirty.

Then again, if you convert to a single central wiper, you will have poor visibilty on both sides....

Andrew

#7 ·
I would think that the height to width ration of the windshield would make it near impossible to find an arm/blade that would give you sufficient coverage for real world conditions. Sure, it may look cool but it's not a very good way to go and frankly I'm surprised that MB is doing it. Oh Well,

#9 ·
come on guys I told you i was bored and was just wondering about it I didnt say that i WAS gonna do it...just happened to see MB go by while trying to find the source of my headlight wiper madness( which I did ...back plastic cover was broke and i have no insides left). but i thought WOW i wonder if I can do that to a Saab...thats all fellas I have no plans to really ever try to conquer that task

#11 ·
Mercedes have now given up on the single arm wiper design. All new models use a conventional looking two wiper arrangement. The interesting part is the blades themselves. They have no metal frame/back like a conventional blade, just a sort of stiff back on the rubber blade. When you lift them off the screen they droop into an inverted U shape. A bit weird really. Mercedes say that one of the main benefits is reduced wind noise.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Dave_NI:
[qb]My 9000's wipers are starting to flake and a bit of surfae rust is appearing.  Was gonna strip em and repaint em but if anyone new where to purchase better looking ones, I would be very interested. [/qb][/b]
As you can read in my first post I have 900 wiper arms mounted on my 9k cse Go for that ones they look much better Don't rust and are still original Saab Parts. I'll post some pictures soon as my film is developed.

#16 ·
One of my first (little) projects after purchasing the car was to repaint the wiper arms. Too many years of fading, rock chips, slight rust and paint wearing in odd places made it necessary.
After removing the arms I used a 3M greenie pad to clean and prep them for paint. I used a good quality semi-gloss black spray paint and added to the "Car and Driver" wiper blades; they look much better.

#18 ·
now for some odd reason my 9000T has the drivers side wiper blade as a double edged, and the passengers side as a single blade bosch too. What are they supposed to be? Size and blades? They are worn out and ready to be replaced. Also on that subject, my gauge cluster may just be wacked out, i am putting a new one in eventually, but what it does while driving is flash an orange image in the bottom right of a windscreen and spritzer....why? it does this on and off while i drive. Not sure what it means, or why it is going on. Any help...THX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.