Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Saab 900 SE T and I have been looking for an exhaust system. I asked the Saab dealership if they could order me a performance exhaust, and they said they would order one for me. Exhaust came in, but I had complications so it hasnt been installed yet. Does anyone know who Saab orders their performance exhaust from? The guy said it would give about a 7 hp increase, which seems reasonable. I just decided to order through saab because it's to much of a hassle to order parts from europe. Was this good idea?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Which exhaust are they getting you? I ordered my stainless Saab sport cat-back exhaust from the Saab catalog. And you dealer is correct, you should get about 5-7 hp from a cat-back on your car

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Interesting question regarding Saab sports exhausts... The system on the Viggen is made my Remus... the US sports exhaust is different from the European sports system.

Your best bet is the 3'' JT superflow system. made from mildsteel, it has good flow, it's a larger diameter, it uses free flowing perforated mufflers and doesn't cost too much.

Over here in Europe we buy these from Elkparts and Speedparts.. in the US you can buy it from Engstrom.

http://www.engstrom.net/

Maarten fitted one to his 900 SET, dyno tested it prior to fitting and then after.. when he installed the JT system he removed the cat - the exhaust and downpipe liberated 19Horsepower extra.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The 3" JT Superflow is a good performance exhaust. However, the 19bhp will not be achieved on a stock 900. My car was already tuned, so the stock system was more restrictive than it would be on a non-modded Saab.

The Saab sport exhaust is 2.5" which is big enough for most cars. It's stainless and sounds better (a little louder) than the 3" JT. This is because the JT system has a mid muffler, the Saab sport exhaust hasn't.

The 3" JT downpipe and 2.5" Saab sport exhaust make a very good combo. There's the quick spoolup because of the big downpipe and the nice burble of the Saab exhaust.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Mark, just for the record, the Saab sport exhaust sold in the US is a straight through perforated core muffler as well. And although it costs more, it is stainlees steel and should last considerably longer. The same goes for the BSR downpipe and race cat that I have. Being stainless, it shoud pretty much last forever as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can always have the aluminum JT exhaust JetHot coated and then will have a lifetime warranty on rust protection. Can't recall exactly how much the JetHot coating costs though, something like $12 a foot. This was a necessity for me as I am on the eastcoast (re: rust belt). They use so much salt here that I've had aluminum exhausts rust off my VW's after only a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts