Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for performanc exhaust systems for my Saab, and I am torn between who I should buy from. I know elk parts sells a full exhaust. I know abbott sells individual parts of an exhaust system, and then maptuning sells and entire stage 1,2, or 3 upgrade. With a $1500 budget, is it better to buy individual parts from abbott, buy elk parts full exhaust, or go with a stage 2 upgrade from maptuning? if anyone has any information on possibly better buys for my money, please tell me. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If I were you, I would go the Maptun route. It will also include the ECU upgrade which will give you the largest gain in performance. Shop around however, as there are many ecu upgrade providers as well as exhaust providers.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think this thread would get a better response in the STTE board rather than the GM900/9-3 board.

BTW, welcome to Saabscene, MTX900SEt

Martin
Saabscene Staff

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you have a turbo then get yourself down to an exhaust shop.

Turbo exhaust designs are completely different to NA cars. You don't bneed to worry about the exhaust as much after the turbo.

An exhaust of around 2.5 - 3 inches will be sufficient for whatever you want the power to be.

Get it cheaper and just as good. They can't really mess a turbos exhaust up.

NA is a different story though.

Chris

·
Registered
563 Posts
My advice is to go for the Maptun or Speedparts stage 2 upgrade. If it's possible to stretch the budget a little, buy the Elkparts Viggen intercooler kit as well.
Then start saving money for a 3" downpipe

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought and fitted a JT Superflow CAT back exhaust from Elkparts. For £230 its the best money i've ever spent on my NG900 (1994 Turbo). Speak to Julian - He's really helpful. After 3 months of salty Winter Roads, the Exhaust's still like new.

Next on my shopping list is ECU, Viggen Intercooler, etc. I've already spent about £1000 at Abbott motorsport on Suspension, bushes, Viggen rescue Kit etc. (again, great value for money!!). My advice to you is to spend the cash you've got on Koni's, Springs, VRK, then look for more power. Yeah, i've spent a lot of cash on my suspension, but the car corner's like its on rails now.

Good Luck..

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Welcome to SaabScene, Neil J! That is actually very good advice. I had a sport exhaust, modded airbox and, Viggen intercooler with a custom programmed Hirsch ECU before I went the suspension route. 238 PS and 338 Nm on a stock suspension proved to be quite a handful, but fun at the same time.

And as Maarten says, get that 3" downpipe, it has to be the best power mod after the ECU.

Have fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've a follow on question for Maarten & Blue99Turbo & any of you other knowledgeable Turbo guys:

Havent bought the 3" Downpipe / CAT yet. Mine seems in good condition (not rusty like my old exhaust anyway!), and i kinda thought i wouldnt get much driving benefit from it. Remember reading a post AGES ago from a guy who claimed to have been part of the Saab B203 design team. His comments were that increasing the Downpipe diameter to 3" would improve Turbo Spool-up, but low-end Torque would suffer as a consequence. Thats why the Saab Tech's left the downpipe at 2". Can i have your real-world experience of fitting the 3" Downpipe / CAT bypass please??...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Would be interested to know thw answer to this as I am also thinking 3" pipe, stage 1 from Speedparts, new brakes and VRK and suspension mods. Have heard the benefit of the 3" pipe is getting heat away from the head etc - if there is a loss of torque is this countered by the ECU upgrade. I know that a certain amount of back pressure is beneficial on an exhaust system.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Backpressure in an exhaust system is crucial for NA cars.
On turbocharged cars however, the turbo itself will provide enough backpressure. That's why a turbocharged car needs a free flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by Neil J:
[qb]His comments were that increasing the Downpipe diameter to 3" would improve Turbo Spool-up, but low-end Torque would suffer as a consequence. [/qb][/b]
I have proof that this is not true. Here is a picture of my dyno sheet with SQR stage 3 and 3" downpipe, plus a lot of other goodies. You can see max torque at 3100 rpm is 262 ft-lbs (355.2 Nm). Note that this was done with an MBC, torque figures would be lower without one.

Eric

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
As Maarten said, NA cars need the backpressure, however, forced induction cars really don't. I have yet to get my car dynoed since I installed my 3" downpipe, however, seat of the pants feeling says that spool up is indeed quicker, and power & torque are both significantly increased. Also, as stated earlier, excess heat is pulled away from the turbo's turbine and the cylinder head much better with the bigger downpipe.

And as ERP's post shows, torque on our cars is more of a product of boost than anything else.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Thanks guys - 3" downpipe it is then plus ECU and brakes and suspension. As a supplement which gives more gain - uprated springs or dampers if I cannot do both at the same time?

Mike

·
Registered
563 Posts
Go for a set of Koni dampers.

My car has Hirsch lowering springs and stock dampers. It's not a good combination, the dampers can't cope with the stiffer springs at high speed. Rebound is way too quick.

Best is to install both dampers and springs at the same time. This will save some money on labour.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Thanks Maarten
Would most likely change springs/dampers myself so labour not a problem but I take your point and best to do both together - just feel a bit guilty about spending out all that a once what with exhaust upgrade and ECU etc.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts