Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

New Carbon Dash finally fitted

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  kez 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it has taken me long enough and the best excuse i have is i was waiting for the weather to improve, in fairness you need to be careful with plastics in cold weather, especially plastics that are 10 years old - need treating with a little respect.

Right then, having removed the centre air vent previously i knew how difficult that job is, first time it took me 2 hours, this time 2 mins, literally! using 3 credit cards to jam the catches. the side vent was a bastard and fell to pieces as i was removing it. it is made up of many, many pieces and i strongly suggest you do not drop any of the bits under the seat without realising otherwise you too could waste 3 hours of your life! The rest is simple, remove the head unit an retaining screws and swap over.

TBH it looks better in the flesh so to speak and i am very pleased, the old dash's finish was very fragile and easily marking and coming off even when being carefully cleaned.

If anyone is interested in getting one of these then let me know as i have a cunning plan.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks nice - I was thinking of doing this to mine but I like the silver trim too much around the dash.

Next time Zohan - use Bojo tools - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOOR-TRIM...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item589bde66df

They are brilliant for removing the dash - I used mine when I needed to feed my iphone cable to my cradle. I agree the vents are a bit daunting but with a bit of brut force you'll get there...

#4 ·
Well Done ! the work you have done looks very nice , I have just FINALLY managed to get and own a SAAB 9-3 convertible only 2wks ago A car I dreamed of owning as a teen , I have her parked up at mo on my parents drive as I hoe to get it upto a tip top spec , but in saying that its like a neew car even though its a 1999 model but had only 53K on clock verified she was previously owned by a gent in his 70s he got it when he retired I have been looking at body kits and things to JAZZ it up and looking at your carbon dash I know wot I am doing to th interior THANK YOOU

#6 · (Edited)
Wicked coatings!!!

We started a project in Sept2012.

They did auto gear lever surround, glove box trim and doorcard trims into a very unique pattern. Very good. However! The first batch were done totally different to what we agreed. It was so quirky though that I accepted it. They undertook to do second phase, (gearlever top and dash), by Christmas. No show. When I enquired they'ed had a problem with the dash and needed to redo it. Sent me gear top cover for which i still owe them
Phoned them in Feb to be told they had run out of film and expected supplies in 2 weeks. Got quite short with me when I suggested their customer service wasn't up to much as every time (6) we spoke or communicated I had to initiate the contact. They don't phone and are "too busy to answer emails".

Now 4 months in still no dash. Luckily I bought spares of all items and didn't strip the car before the new ones were ready to fit. That would have been a disaster.
Won't be a next time I suppose.
Beware

#8 · (Edited)
I think they were good, but seem to be victims of their own success. Started by 2 guys. Now 10. Bigger premises and Airforce contracts etc, so have no time now for us individuals.
If I don't get my dash back I'll have to go somewhere else and start all over. Will cost a fortune to put my car right. Not funny seeing it's a 2011 model

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.