Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about a new one as the 91 2.3T auto is getting a bit old now and I'd like a newer model. It would have to be a 2.3T again but I'm not sure whether to go for an auto or a manual- I like driving auto's but recognise that there is more driving pleasure to be had from a manual, obviously a failed auto costs an arm and a leg to fix but is a manual much less? Also how long should a clutch last- I heard that some last only a year at around £400 a go that seems an expensive consumable!
Great Trade Centre in London has a 1998 R 9000 2.3 CSE Aniv 5 Dr Auto Met Green 99,895 mls £4,999 and I've seen S plates for a similar price. I'm not quite ready to buy yet but is this a reasonable price, autotrader has quite a few similar P and R plates for around £5k asking- Does any one know what are they actually fetching?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Full Leather,

Go into; www.adtrader.co.uk, and type SAAB 9000 into the search, along with your postcode. This will give you all the SAABs currently advertised on that site (lots) the nearest to you first. You can even specify a price range( I would suggest typing in say 2000 - 6000, you will be surprised what you can get for your money.
Re-post once you have had a look,let us know.

Cheers,
Andy.

p.s. I got my 1994 CSE 2.3 FPT on there, FSSH, immaculate, 95K, top spec.. for £,2500-00, even better deal if you look !

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The manual gearbox is generally a lot more robust than the auto. As for the clutch, my Aero had the engine/gearbox out at around 135K miles (for reasons other than clutch failure) and the original clutch was around 2/3 worn, according to the mechanic. I had them put in a new clutch - silly not to when they had it apart.

So, if 135K is 2/3 worn, my particular car would probably have gone around 200K miles on the original clutch. It depends how it's driven, of course. Since mine put up 112K miles in its first three years, I expect there was a lot of motorway mileage in that.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Doh! forgot to say...

The gearbox in my Aero ('96) is still going strong at 166K miles. The pre-'94 gearbox is reckoned not to be quite so good as the improved '94-on box, but even so, my '87 2.0T only started to have problems (jumping out of 5th gear) at around 195K miles.

Having said all that, I bought a CSE 2.0 LPT today with 136K miles that has supposedly had the gearbox replaced at 135K due to speedo drive failure (apparently dealer tried replacing the little plastic cog and it didn't fix it). Gearbox feels new, and I have no reason to suspect the seller was lying.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
BillJ's post reminds me, when I got my '94 with 114k miles on the clock in January, it had a one year old gearbox in. I bought the car from my regular mechanic who pointed out, rather smuggly, the job had cost the bloke £1,800 at a main dealer

But to answer the question, try autotrader type sites to give you an idea of a fair price. I used to suggest looking at the SOC, saabtrader &c sites but reports are their pricing is a little strange.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies- Prices really do seem to vary- I've seen '96 Aeros for 3000, m plate CSEs from 995! I think I really need to get out there and look at some more.

Recent posts suggest that ACC and TCS are problematic and costly to fix so I'd be looking for something without these options. Does anyone know if the later models were available with 'manual' air- con and how can you tell if a car has TCS fitted?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The TCS light should come on briefly with the ignition, along with the ABS light. Also, if you know what the non-TCS throttle body looks like, the TCS throttle body looks... well... different, and it buzzes lightly when the ignition is on.

And if it has a TCS switch on the dash, then it's a fairly safe bet that it has TCS. However, not all TCS cars have a switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.