Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
bought myself my first 9000 (cse fpt), (owned a bad basic 900 9 years ago) and it's great.
It was a deal, to good to be true of course, so it had a lot of minor problems, and a few greater ones.
I've been reading the posts on this forum for weeks, and thanks to you all, for it helped a lot. It enabled me to silence the acc ventilator, to attach an armrest, to change a fogbulb, to change broken bulbs in the instrument panel, to repair the heated seats (ouch), and to put back those hooks in the backrest, after I tried to open it up (didnt manage) to repair the stuck lumbar support which I "broke" myself. "Broke", for I repaired it eventually when I tried to turn the knob again for no reason, and then it came loose!
I don't think there was anything on the next subjects, but I managed to repair the third brake light (corroded copper in the connecting rubber hose), the reading light to the backseat (the switch kept being pushed into the lampholder), the rheostat (didn't operate smoothly), the rear foglight (the previous owner had changed the switches fore and aft, that took some time to find out! (when changed, the front fogs do operate, but the rear one don't)), I found the correct 4mm bulbs for the heated seat switches, and I managed to modify my headrest to suit my length (1.91m)
And there was a lot more, but this is getting to lengthy already I suppose.
Regards!
Johan

·
Registered
330 Posts
Prins,
Nothing like getting to know your car in detail straight off is there .
I'm sure many of us have small niggles on our cars which,with the best intentions say we will get round to (someday!!)
Welcome & happy 9ooo-ing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Gilbert!
The problem is, I can't stand those niggles!
(Just repaired my headlight wiper motors, took some hours to figure them out.
)

By the way, people here might be interested in my headrest solution for long people, it's comfortable and very safe, and your headrest won't fall down in an accident (I suspect it would), rendering it useless;
I gained 4cm, perhaps more is safe, but I didn't dare and didn't need it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought a picture says more than 1000 words....

Well, in words:
-take the headrest out by removing the famous screw:
http://www.saabscene.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimat...pic/2/6208.html (here is a picture of how to do that)
The screw is essential, if it isn't there, take the screw from the passenger seat and/or buy one.
-push the lips of the clip under the headrest to each other, and pull the headrest out.
-measure 4cm(1,5")(or whatever) from the hole in the clip in its lowest position (as in my picture).
-mark the spot with a permanent marker.
-mark the mark with hammer and centre punch (to prevent the drill from wandering).
-drill a hole.
-put the headrest back in the chair, put the screw in through the newly drilled hole.
-safe the now useless clip for the next owner of your car, he might be short.
-Enjoy!

If you measure more than 4cm, at that length the end of the bar still lies against the plastic insert. It might be less strong when the hole is drilled further, however, for the head restraint to snap off in an accident, the screw would have to break. But if the force on the head is that high, I don't think you would care about that....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.