Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New car - £400 '91 Carlsson - advice please.

Just picked up the 200k fsh Carly and put it through mot:

nsf headlight 2 low
osf btm ball joint
os cv gaitor
osf brake hose
front discs & pads
rear pads
os handbrake inop
2 wiper blades

The sellers "knackered timing chain" turned out to be a pulley bearing. Sounds odd to me but there you go. Does that make sense to anyone?

The only failure that has me worried is the handbrake - anyone experienced handbrake probs? - is it a new caliper job? and if so is it safe to get a second hand one?

Any ideas on the labour times for that lot so I know where I'm coming from with pricing?

ATB

Dave

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Re: New car - £400 '91 Carlsson - advice please.

Dave the bearings on the idle pulley on the serpentine belt can rattle and could possibly be mistaken as a shot timing chain. My 2.3FPT rattles a bit at tick over. If I tap the idler pulley when the engine is stopped it makes the same noise as when the engine is running.

Could the handbrake be down to a seized caliper or cable?

Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Further update after phone call with tech (non saab but old school versatile mechanic/engineer/electrician in one)

nsf headlite 2 low - adjust
osf b ball joint - £28.34
os cv gaitor insecure - clip
osf brake hose insecure starting to chafe - secure
front discs & pads £76 discs £29.80 pads
rear pads £26
os handbrake inop - (Not cable, seen operating) New caliper £85.64
2 wiper blades £10.00

£255.78 Parts
£165 Labour
£40.75 MOT (free retest within 1 mth)
£461.54 Total inc vat.

Further info

No rust whatsoever underneath.
New Lambda sensor.
Definatley not the timing chain rattling.

My tech reckons its a good one and worth doing the work, says he'd personally do the work, drive it like that for a month, see what crops up then do a service. If ok then continue to tweak to taste but dont spend silly money on mods, else drive into the ground. Brutal but honest and from much experience I trust him.

Anything anyone would advise here - do's n donts?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
4,215 Posts

sounds ok to me
the big things
tcs....ets....abs....have not come to the fore ?
these are the things that could sop up the old spondulicks...as well as the usual head gasket /turbo maladies which I would guess are ok

the nice thing is that once all these little things are done you will have a great car (for not so much money)but is a fastly appreciating classic which ,once valeted and polished ,will be worth considerably more than you paid for

ps I paid 600 for my 91 2.3 carly and have not regretted it for one minute...

·
Registered
205 Posts

Dave
Before buying a new caliper, check the adjustment. When the rear pads wear down, the caliper should take up the play but they have been known to stick. The handbrake suffers accordingly.
When you replace the pads on the rear you have to adjust the caliper manually. There is an nut on the back which is removed and then an allen key is used to adjust the pad towards the caliper. Once it is 'just' starting to bite, back off slightly It is this adjustment which should be automatic as the pad wears. Once this is set, the cable is then adjusted (at the caliper)

Some people try and simply adjust the cable at the handbrake end when it is actually the caliper that should be adjusted first.

Good luck, sounds OK

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

The sellers "knackered timing chain" turned out to be a pulley bearing.  Sounds odd to me but there you go. Does that make sense to anyone?[/b]
I took my Aero in for a service yesterday, mechanic said, oh timing chain as he drove it in.

Today it came back with 2 new plastic idler pulleys

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts