Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read all the forums on wheel size suitability for the 9-5 i'm still none the wiser. I've been offered a set of 18" alloys at a very silly price, the PCD is 5x110, but i'm worried about the offset of ET38. I read saabman's running on 17's with an ET35. My 9-5 is running standard suspension and alloys at the moment (16"). Will 18" wheels wearing 235/40/18 rubber foul the filler pipe? Have seen several sites saying offset of 35-40 is suitable, but concensus on here seems to be stay as close to ET49 as possible Any help will be gratefully received, i've less than 24 hours to make this purchase.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
If you keep the offset the same for the same width of wheel and tyre you would have no problem. If you keep offset the same with a wider tyre the extra width would be half on the inside and half on the outside. So if a 225 wide tyre on a 17 inch wheel is OK, a 235 wide tyre will be 10mm wider making 5mm extra in and out. If you reduce the offset you will move the whole tyre outwards so ET 35 (14mm less) with a 235 tyre will move the inside away from the body by (14-5)=9mm , but the outside edge will move out by (14+5)=19mm (0.75 inch)which may cause the tyre to hit the body.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
These gorgeous 18" 9-3SS wheels on Frav's car (nice colour) have are ET 41, as do the 17" ones on my car (nice colour too)

Dont know what his tyre size is though

Originally posted by frav:
[qb]Hello again!

I bougth the wheels and this is how it looks on my car.

[/qb][/b]

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are fox alloys as well, stated as being "SAAB fit", decisions, decisions
On a lighter note, found these 18" "spinners" in SAAB fitment on a U.S site.
Any takers?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Originally posted by agonyman:
[qb]These are fox alloys as well, stated as being "SAAB fit", decisions, decisions            [/qb][/b]
If they are a bargain, you can always sell them on eBay later

[qb] On a lighter note, found these 18" "spinners" in SAAB fitment on a U.S site.      
      Any takers?          

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Originally posted by frav:
[qb]It´s 225/45-18, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso [/qb][/b]
Thanks Frav, hope it was ok to use your picture, such a lovely car............very nice colour too

[qb] Any help will be gratefully received, i've less than 24 hours to make this purchase.  
 [/qb][/b]
Agonyman, did you buy them

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
[qb]Nope, some tasteless moron in an Omega beat me to them by about 1/2 hour. They'd look much better on my 9-5.    [/qb][/b]
Oh dear Well in that case........... they would never fit and the tramlining effect of such wide tyres would be a night mare .........any better

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.