Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a big fan of these boards, thanks for all the really useful hints. I've learnt how to fix my SID's missing pixels, upgrade my speakers, (which I still need to do), and much much more. Cheers.

Does anyone have any recomendations, on what size rims would best suit my particular model? Do the springs need to be added to fresh shock absorbers, or can they be just added to the old ones?

I want to replace the steel wheels on my humble, low mileage 2000 'S' model convertible, with alloys. These, as you know, don't do the car any justice at all, there's so much room in the arches, looks horribly plastic with those mad hub caps, and it looks sloppy on certain angles.

So much choice, but I'll probably go for Ronal rims, Saab rims seem too pricey, and I've heard they aren't very strong either.

Currently running with 195/60/15's, I'd love to upgrade to 205/50/16 or 17's, guessing there'll still be some room in the arches, adding lowered springs, with a 35mm drop. Or maybe the springs wont be needed with such large tyres? Also, I'd really love 215's on the rear, surely this wont rub at all?

Unfortunately there's no way of knowing all the changes, without fitting everything, & driving around, listening for tyres rubbing in arches etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, cheers again.

·
Registered
480 Posts
17 inch rims will fit no prob Maxi, but remember the bigger the rim the smaller the tyre wall. Can you put up with a harsher ride and more scuttle shake? I'm sure somebody with a rag top will tell you the best route to go, perhaps 16's for a compromise

·
Registered
186 Posts
As K says , the arch room should not change, when you upgrade wheel size, the overall circumference of the wheel/tyre combo has to remain as close to existing spec (about 3% for me)to maintain accurate speedo readings, mpg and acceleration states. Off course you could change this but beware of the adverse effects and possible legal issues if on pulic roads.

The most beneficial change is the aesthetic look of the car with bigger alloy wheels to lower profile tyres and this can enhance most cars although you can also overdo it.

So as said, the arch room will not really change, but the bigger wheel / lower profile tyres will actually change the perception of the arch room and may actually make it appear less.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am running 215/40/17"s on my 9000 cse, they do completely transform the look of the car, but you do need to be aware of the cost of tyres, as mine are the best part of 100 notes per corner.

I would advise against putting bigger tyres on the back, the front is more the problem.

Forcomfort go for 16"s or 17"s for look and slightly better handling.

Cheers Dulux

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, after finding the search button on these boards and processing the wealth of information on offer, I've decided to go 16", with 205/50/16, keeping the ratio intact I hope.

I'll probably leave the lowered springs until I see what it looks like. I live in London, so someone may just fancy nicking it, if it starts looking too classy. O, I must tell the insurance guy too, it might pay. They've probably got some new defintion for certain modifications.

The rims will be Ronal, purely for the price, I like the solid looking ones, which are easier to clean.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Normally it's absolutely no problem on the rubbing front to fit a 9-3 with lowering springs and fit larger alloys.

I've personally got Eibach springs and 17'' wheels with slightly oversized 225/45zr17 tyres (the proper size is 215/45zr17) on my 2001 9-3 coupe. I've run for 4 years like that and have had absolutely no problems.

However, since you are running a 2000 vert you will need to be VERY careful of the offset of the wheel you decide to run. You see, in 2001 Saab slightly changed the position of the fuel filler pipe to allow 17'' wheels to be run safely on 'verts.

On pre 2001 'verts the fuel filler pipe runs VERY close to the inside of the wheel. Lowering the car brings it slightly closer..AND then running a 17'' wheel/tyre combo with a wider wheel.. brings it closer still. So if you run with the incorrect offset... you could have the tyre rubbing against the fuel filler pipe!!!!!!

Check it out first.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
The rims will be Ronal[/b]
good choice
Ronal supplied a lot of the "classic " saab wheels like the super aero
these have proved to be very robust and there is very little reported buckling on these wheels which you can get with a heavy car/alloy wheels
(I am on my third set of aftermarket wheels !!)

good luck

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you can't afford to do the springs and the shocks at the same time, do the shocks first, as lowered springs with standard shocks will be very bouncy - you may get sea sick . If you do the shocks first, they will greatly improve the handling of the car, but wont lower it any. I'd personally recommend the Koni adjustable shocks, but I've not got a vert. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the vert is heavier than the standard hard top, if so, then you'll need to buy the Koni's from Abbott, as they seem to be the only people who can get uprated Koni's to cope with the additional weight - standard ones wont do! I had to get uprated ones for my 9-3 Aero, as it (and the Viggen) are heavier than a standard 9-3, because of all the extra toys .
I had 16" Aero wheels on my last 900 Coupe, but changed them for 17" with 214x45 tyres - looked far better. If you get 16" wheels, as soon as you see another 9-3 with 17" wheels, you'll want to change them again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Neil, Yeah, I think you're right on the 17's, the guy at saab fulham told me the car will never be the same on low profiles, always chipping the curb, grating the rims, rough ride etc etc. But, I do a lot of driving on motorways, and curbs-I'll just have to be more careful at parking. I think I'll save up a few months and get it all done at together. I'm ordering the rims online, and, perhaps the shocks/springs, to be fitted later. I haven't the tools nor the talent to install them myself, and there's always... "those steering brushes look a bit worn, mate", from any engineer with a mortgage to look after, so I'm saving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts