Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been owning and tweaking my old 900 T16s for ages but have now moved on to a 95 9000 Aero which is obviously a different ball game altogether.

My initial impression is that it is not as quick as my tweaked 900. So what mods should I do first to increase bhp?

Cheers,

Alanb

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Welcome to the board drabux
I'll leave this one to the 9000 people as they know more than me about tweaking 9000's.But stick with the board,I've a funny feeling you'll have a few replies to this one

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Why "tinker" with an almost perfect sport package?[/b]
Because it's not as fast as his 900 T16 silly!

Basically an Aero should boost deep into the red, if it's not then the same tweaks which work on the 900 will also work on the 9000. People often say that the trionics don't "feel" as quick as the faster DI/APC turbo's (Carlsson, 900 Aero etc).

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I had a ride in Nick's 9000 Aero (loads of Abbott stuff on it) a few weeks ago at the southern meet.

Nick's turbo boosted well into the red. IIRC his boost gauge is marked in warp factors That's certainly the way it felt around the Sussex countryside.

Nick - you back from your hols yet?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I suppose a bleed valve is a good place to start as they are cheap.

Then there's remapped ECU, exhaust inc cat bypass if you're naughty , dump valve, air filter, FSE Power boost valve etc etc. If you want to splash out even more you can let Abbott Racing do you a gas flowed cylinder head, water injection and LSD (as by now you'll be losing traction quite easily!)

Welcome to the board AlanB!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Alan,
Aero's can be deceptive because of the taller gearing than say the 900T16S or 9000 Carlssons, but this depends on what extremes of mods your T16S had!!
A lighter lower geared T16S with something like 210-215bhp will feel quicker than a standard Aero.
We're also assuming here it's a manual car rather than an auto?
First things of course is check that everything is working as it sould be then it's just a case of 'openning your wallet and making the call to Abbott Racing or across the water to Sweden and Maptun or Nordic Tuning....'
Mind you the bleed valve route seems to be the 'more whoosh for less doosh' route...check past posts on this subject.

I would say though the first and best step I made was the fitting of a Quaife ATB diff.

Graham

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree with the mods but contrary to what is said above a standard aero should not boost well into the red but only to top of broken yellow/red. It's quick but my old 2 litre carly with 195 bhp felt wilder.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Where to start ..
It is not the same as modifying a t16 s (did That too...)
It depends on how many miles its done.
first step..K+n filter (or ITG)
second sports exhaust especially if it is getting ropey..Mine was a powerflow cat back ss system for £300
but there are others which have been recommended on this bulliten board
Now it gets expensive..
I started by basically getting abbott to re-build the engine and gearbox to ensure no blow-ups..
Abbott fitted lower final drive and lsd..
and their uprated ecu.
At this stage I fitted a bleed valve (£15 ) and bailey dump valve ..
and turned it into a monster..

ordered a dawes device (still waiting) to allow me to control boost a bit better
Next is downpipe and sports kat
and maybe water injection..
so..a quick mod for more power would be the bleed valve but ..as long as your engine can take it..

good luck...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
about 2bhp for a £70 filter from Abbott, Ive just put one in, unless your changing you exhaust as well save your money and put a bleed valve or dawes device in, as long as everything is running ok you will have more fun with that

Mark

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
And I think the performance air filters only really come into their own at revs over 4000.

Better to get a reusable one from Elkparts anyway, save some money on purchase price and at replacement time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers everyone for the really helpful replies. I ordered the Dawes Devices MBC today.

One thing I'm concerened about, however, is the fuel cut off coming in at 20 odd psi to spoil the fun. On my old 900 T you could bypass the pressure switch to stop this. Is this possible with the 9000 Aero? Alternatively, do the performance ECUs (e.g. SQRs ECU) increase the fuel cut off threshold.

Alanb

PS Easily out-dragged a Honda NSR 250 motorbike to 60mph yesterday and from 60mph upwards it was a joke.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
You can by pass anything..My bleed valve is giving me about 1.4 bar which is off the red and I feel that is enough My cut off comes in somewhere above 1.6..I,like you ,have ordered a dawes so that I can reliably run about 1.5 bar boost. I believe running above his the fuel injectors cannot keep up and you run into the danger zone of leaning out and high combustion temps and melting pistons
Before I go there (and I know I will eventually)then a rrfpr is in order and perhaps water injection as well as drainpipe injectors..then you are in the 300 + region and transmission problems loom...
also you are getting into the limits of what the turbo fan can flow..
so maybe the key is to max out the efficiency
ie free-est flowing exhaust,uprated i/c
and then max the induction
all of this is big bucks country
I wonder if anyone has done all of this..?
the most maxed out Aero I have seen is on the
www.maptun.com website with 360 hp I believe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts