Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put the car through an mot today not looking good,anyway how easy/hard is it to fit track rod ends (outer) & rear anti roll bar bushes,oh and a hand brake cable.
Gonna take about £300ish to get it fixed (inc labour)cause I cant fit 2 tyres also,I'm honestly wondering if its worth it.The car is is a k reg 9000CD 2.0 LPT, any help is greatly appreciated,thanks.

PS.Wait a min, is there any info on this on the site anywhere, I'll have a look.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The t/rod ends & r/anti roll b/bushes seem quite straight forward. I had a look at BillJ's page, but it doesn't tell you (well I didnt see it) how to fit the hand brake cable, anyone know that?, cheers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Track rod ends are easy enough best bet is to mark the threads at the very edge of the track rods so that you wont loose the tracking when fitting the new track rod ends. If done right should save the bother of getting the tracking set.

As for the rear anti roll bar bushes if they are the ones Im thinking about its just removing two studs on the bracket and slap the new ones in.

Havent done a handbrake cable but cant imagine it being that tricky, all these things are parts that generally go from time to time especially with tie rod ends as they take a fair bit of abuse with dodgy roads (especially in ireland .

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Mark in Ireland:
[qb]What was the diagnosis with the hand brake cable...was it frayed? [/qb][/b]
Cheers guy's.......Mark, they said "no reserve travel on handbrake lever inside car", which as you'll know just means you pull it to far and feels "spongy" as your pulling, and theres no "bite".
And offside rear handbrake not working, it might just need adjusting, but depending what I find, the guy didnt say if was frayed or not,I might just fit/get one fitted.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The handbrakes on 9000's are a fiddle to get right as I have recently experienced. My problem was that the self adjusters in the rear calipers had seized, a common fault requiring replacement of calipers (Euro Car Parts £59 each).
However you can try adjusting the pads clearance to the disc, which will improve the handbrake performance. Try looking at BillJ's site http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/braking/rearpads.html for instructions and just follow section 14 onwards. That will position the pads correctly on the disc. You can try adjusting the cables from inside the car by removing the cover on the handbrake and adjust a bit at a time until the wheels lock after three clicks, roughly.
Providing the cables are not frayed or damaged this will at least get you through the MOT. If the brake performance begins to fade after a few days then look at replacing the calipers.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Duncan........But I'm seriously considering selling it "as is" with the failure slip,cause like you say if (and I know its if) I need new calipers that'll take the cost to dam near £400,even one cal that price wont inc vat I dont suppose and theres now way I'm prepared to do that.
I just dont think the car's worth it, I'd need to keep it for a couple of years to get the benefit out it.
i was thinking of of some tuning work,but i'm not shelling out for both,no way.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
A quick look on Euro Car Parts shows the adjuster kit is £22 and if it comes to the worst, as Duncan says, a complete rear caliper (exchange) is £59. If you don't want to change it yourself (not a difficult job), a slow garage might charge you an hour's labour (no more than £50?) to change it including bleeding the brakes.

Don't know how it will cost you £400 per caliper.

Then again, as Duncan suggests, you can simply try adjusting them (might not have been done properly when the rear pads were last replaced) or checking that the handbrake cable hasn't come loose at the lever. On my Aero, the locking plate over the adjusting nuts was missing and they had come loose, leading to a comment (but not failure) at the MOT. I also had always had some free travel at the brake pedal. After adjusting the calipers and handbrake cables, the handbrake had much less travel and the pedal travel had gone.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill......Yea I know its not £350-400 for calipers,it'll be around £220 just for the parts and me fitting them (t/rod ands &anti roll bar bushes, not hand brake cable & tyres).
Then ad in the price of this caliper (if its needed) thats bringing it up to the £300 mark and more if the two need done.
I'm gona think about things today/over the wk/end and see, but honestly Bill IMO the cars just not worth it, christ thats dam near the same as I paid for it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I see your point about the cost of parts. I have had an earbashing from the wife over the amount I have spent on mine over the last year. However provided the car is mechanically sound otherwise it is a fairly cheap repair to get another years motoring. You will also get back the money you put in provided the car has an MOT. Without it you will probably just be sending her off to the breakers yard as no-one seems to want them without MOT.
Have a good think and remember this bulletin board is here if you need the help. A Haynes manual is only about a tenner too!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Duncan......I know what you mean about the cost, but I wont get my money back well not here in Scotland anyway.
You can buy these cars for buttons well like I say depending on year/model ect, and thats is more/less what I paid for it. Thats why I'm going to have a serious think about.
It'd scare you if I told you what I paid for mine here, and it had 4 months mot on it, and theres no rust no bubbles nothing on the body, a few light scratches here/there but thats it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.