Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while I was driving my red brake light came on. Not the handbrake light, nor the yellow anti-lock. My manual says "low oil level or, in ABS cars, lack of pressure in the brake booster".

The oil level, with the car turned on, is half between min and max.

If I turn on the key without turning on the car, I can hear the brake booster pump pumping then stopping anfer a few seconds(anti lock light goes off), like it does everytime I turn on the car. If I brake, the pump starts again then stops again.

Tha car brakes as it has always done (fine).

I have to leave tomorrow for a 1500km trip, can I leave or should I borrow my dad's V*lvo? Is there something I can do about it?

Thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Stefano, I presume you mean the red warning light with the brake symbol and the exclamation mark.

If this comes on by itself, and the Antilock warning is not on, then it's just low brake fluid level.

If the fluid level looks OK, it could be a faulty level sensor. Unfortunately, I don't know where this is situated on an '87 car.

Test the brakes. Find a long empty road, brake a few times then do a full panic brake - if the ABS is working, you'll feel it through the pedal.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A second thought - try filling the fluid container to the max mark and see if the light goes out.

I know that on mine, the engine oil warning light comes on well before the oil level reaches minimum - the brake warning light may be the same.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave, yes you spotted the right light, and the oil level is fine (half way between min and max when system pressurized).

I'll have a test to the brakes and the ABS in a couple hours.

If you remember the oil level sender location for a later year, tell me: maybe it could be a good place to start looking. I had a fast looket at it but I couldn't locate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just had a look in Haynes manual and they say fill to the max level (when the accumulator is charged).

I assume you aren't losing fluid at all? This is just normal level drop as the pads wear?

I'd like to know where the level sensor is too. It used to be in the filler cap on my '85 model but it's not there now. Anyone else know?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Dave, thanks for your help.

I filled to MAX the tank, but the light is still on. (Max when the car is on, of course).

I have no sensor in the filler cap.

I test dorve the car and I found absolutely nothing strange in the brakes: just after many emergency brakings the yellow anti lock light eventually come on, for a few second. I assume it's because in these situations I use too much brake boost and the pump can't give it all.

I decided to leave anyway.

I'll let you know all how it turns.

Thanks again, Dave.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,
I'm glad to tell you all that today I returned form my trip with no issues on the brakes. Th elight has always been on but braking performances never changed. If I'll have time, I'll have a look to the oil level sender tomorrow, maybe from underneath (I have a lift).

Thanks all for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts