Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Need Guidance

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  John Booth 
#1 ·
Hello Saab People.
I’m in need of some help and guidance from those that know.
I own a late ( Oct ‘93 ) Saab 900 T 16s convertible which I’ve had since 1996 it’s got a low mileage of just over 100k mainly because I’ve worked overseas most of my career and this was my UK car when on leave . I am now retired and need to give this loyal and trustworthy stead some TLC . The car was registered as a demonstrator with Saab of Wimbledon and has all the whistles and bells and has been undersealed .
My question is .... “where do I start” .
I’m a simple layman who loves my Saab . I’m prepared to spend money over the next few years but need a road map to point me in the right direction I’m not interested in “tweaks” as happy with the solid original.
The car is in good condition but obviously not concurs. It needs a new hood but I don’t see that as a priority as it’s waterproof . I’m looking at mechanical rather than beauty.
Can I ask the people who know to give me recommendations in order of costs of what to do first i.e ; ....is it to upgrade hoses / brake pipes / electrics ...appreciate suggestions and if possible good value suppliers. I can do the odd maintenance but have a mechanic / garage who is willing to fit parts I supply
All suggestions / recommendations welcome
Thanks for reading and hope someone can help rather than me blunder on blindly . Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd start by changing engine oil, transmission oil, and brake fluid. Pay special attention to the rubber brake lines - they crack over time and need replacement. I'd also probably want to replace all the belts and hoses. Next I would move on to the safety items - brakes, ball joints, suspension, etc. By this point, you should have a car that's safe and reliable. Then you can start fixing whatever is wrong with it - perhaps air conditioning, cruise control, the hood, and whatever else. Oh- don't forget to give the leather a good treatment as well! Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.