Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Firstly can't say I'm a proper member of the Saab owners club yet as I'm just in the process of buying my first Saab. Apologies if the following is in the wrong area. Moderators please feel free to delete or move as applicable.

I have just returned from the dealers where I've been looking at a 2011 9-3 TE with the 180 Ttid4 engine.

And here's where I'd like your help Saab fans, the car looks very clean and tidy for its 92000miles and has had the water pump and cam belt changed in June this year. Is there anything else I should be paying close attention to before I purchase?
The dealer has it priced at £4995 although as he took it as a part ex I would imagine there is room for movement. Does the price sound about right? There doesn't appear to be many of that model year around due to Saab's unfortunate demise so getting an accurate reflection of market value is proving difficult.

Ideally I'd have loved an Aero and have been handy going my nose over them for a while but my last car has unexpectedly given up the ghost so I don't have the luxury of hanging around waiting for exactly the right car to come along and the spec of the TE is nice if not as sporty an undercarriage and seats as the Aero.

I'm taking it out for a test drive tomorrow and all being well with that will be making the deal.

Any help or advice given will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Shaun

·
Super Moderator
2,946 Posts
Hello and a warm welcome aboard the good ship saabscene Rogan3 ,
Things to look for ----
2 working keys ( a must ) but if only 1 beat him down £150.00 p as replacement is available.
Front springs are made of Lego ( bottom part ) if you can feel for any roughness or signs of corrosion.
All electrics work ( air con , heated seats , Windows , mirrors , usual stuff )
Check tyres for uneven wear ( rear end bit more complex)
Seeing as it's a TTID ( twin turbo set up ) make sure it boosts though the whole of the Rev range with no lag or holding back .
Make sure the previous owner ( if you can ) has not done any " power upgrade " which includes DPF removal .
Lastly ( to go with the above ) I don't know what sort of mileage you are doing and driving style .
But any diesel ( ESP those with a DPF ) do not like short runs , there's many a thread on here about that .
Also as a foot note make sure service history is full and up to date
And as an owner of a diesel myself, I do oil and filter change every 3 months , ( but that's me )
With the demise of Saab some dealers are inflating the price of thease but from what I keep seeing £5000.00 p is somewhere near the market trend ,
Locally a dealer sold one for £4750 p with 62.000 miles on it but without the TTID engine .
Enjoy the test drive , and let your head rule your heart !
Any other questions then just ask .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good points from 'L' and is important that you are doing the mileage to enable the TTiD to perform well. Should you not be doing the said mileage you will not do so well on the mpg.

Price sounds OK but should be able to bargain down £250-£350 as it is above average mileage. Lastly when Saab expired many vehicles missed service intervals and were non-Saab serviced so that is also worth checking and adds to price reduction. When was the last service as if it is due then use that as a bargaining tool. Best!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I've joined the club!
The test drive went well, no bangs, squeaks, pulling to the left, right or failing to stop altogether. Just smooth progressive power from the twin turbos.
The dealer was pretty firm on price but in the end I was happy enough with the deal I got. £4850 and they are going to service it, stick it through an MOT, and give me a year's warranty.

Picking it up on Friday after they've valeted it. Hopefully the trip down the M1 to work will be a more relaxed affair than in my old Suzuki Swift Sport which screamed it's head off at 5000rpm all the way.

Is there any way I can find the original spec that the car was sold with? I've noticed that the interior has some carbon fibre trim which my research leads me to believe was part of the TX Design pack on the Turbo Edition. The dealer also state in their blurb it has the Driving Pack and Comfort Pack. The car seems to have most of the original paperwork but I've not had chance to pose over this in fine detail. I know it's a long shot given Saab's demise but is there a register anywhere that lists the specs of each car?

·
Super Moderator
2,946 Posts
http://www.thesaabsite.com
Stick you full vin in top left and it gives youhoo the build spec
A big shout out to CJAPETERBROUGH for this
If you have slightly greyish tint to the surround on your grill as well then you have the TX Desing pack
Seeing as you commute down the M1 you have chosen the right car .
Enjoy it .

·
Registered
29 Posts
http://www.thesaabsite.com
Stick you full vin in top left and it gives youhoo the build spec
A big shout out to CJAPETERBROUGH for this
If you have slightly greyish tint to the surround on your grill as well then you have the TX Desing pack
Seeing as you commute down the M1 you have chosen the right car .
Enjoy it .
That is a really useful, interesting site. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I've joined the club!
The test drive went well, no bangs, squeaks, pulling to the left, right or failing to stop altogether. Just smooth progressive power from the twin turbos.
The dealer was pretty firm on price but in the end I was happy enough with the deal I got. £4850 and they are going to service it, stick it through an MOT, and give me a year's warranty.

Picking it up on Friday after they've valeted it. Hopefully the trip down the M1 to work will be a more relaxed affair than in my old Suzuki Swift Sport which screamed it's head off at 5000rpm all the way.

Is there any way I can find the original spec that the car was sold with? I've noticed that the interior has some carbon fibre trim which my research leads me to believe was part of the TX Design pack on the Turbo Edition. The dealer also state in their blurb it has the Driving Pack and Comfort Pack. The car seems to have most of the original paperwork but I've not had chance to pose over this in fine detail. I know it's a long shot given Saab's demise but is there a register anywhere that lists the specs of each car?
Just to say Enjoy the car. It served me well and I never had any issues with it. The car itself is a TTiD4 Turbo edition 180bhp with the TX pack. PM me if you want any other information on it, as you may have noticed the daytime running lights on it are not standard and there is a switch for them in the arm rest.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So youhoo owned that car before RoganJ brought it S.M.B ?
Small world
Yep, I sure did. As much as I liked the 2 Saab’s I had, I couldn’t resist the lure and temptation back to Honda’s. You didn’t by chance drive a Black Saab? I often saw one very similar to what was mine driving around the area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts