Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a standalone ECU and I'm trying to work out if it's worth getting a wideband sensor or just sticking with the supplied narrowband setup. I can get the wideband added on later if I miss it - but I don't really think it'll be necessary ??? I don't really know what the difference is?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Wideband is necessary when tuning a turbo car. Narrowband O2 sensors do not have enough range to differentiate a 12:1 AFR, from a 10:1 AFR accurately. They also don't have much range in the lean section. Normal O2 sensors generally can only tell rich from lean, and locate stoich for naturally aspirated cars.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yer - just spoke to Motec. The narrowband is only good for idle measurement and isn't really effective at any other part of the rev-range.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Speak to Sam(Nuts) as i know he is getting a wideband to tune his Megasquirt - possibly could lend you it when he's finished!

Pete.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Now this is the first time I learned about this sensor change for an upgrade. Do you think it is necessary for 2001 Aero 9-5? If so, where can I find it and what is the part number?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sensor reads the exhaust gasses, feeds it back to the ECU and the ECU adjusts the mixture (or something) - you need one on your car if you've replaced your ECU with a different one.

Pete - I think the sensor would be permanently fitted into a mounting point on the exhaust (like the standard one) so I guess it wouldn't be right to borrow one and keep it I don't have much knowledge when it comes to the more technical things so I could be wrong about this. I think the device stays on the car and the Motec constantly uses it as your driving around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts