Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few weeks I have noticed an oil leak that drip oil from the region of the iol filter, replaced filter but still have leak. any suggestion on where this might originate from before I rip the wheel arch out. many thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I really - really - don't want to get panic buttons flying all over the place but I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I reckoned that I'd maybe grounded her on a pothole or something and was actually tracing it down to an area around the oil filter.

Before I actually got around to nailing it properly, it deteriorated further to the extent that she finished puffing first blue and then white smoke out of the tail pipe.

And the rest of history as they say because I finished up having to chase down a new turbo unit. Luckily that only cost me £60 - and we'll see just how lucky I've been in that regard. All I can say is that I wish I'd recognised the signs earlier. To this day I honestly don't know if the two are connected but as far as I know, the guy who fixed it for me didn't replace the oil filter when fitting the "new" unit. And all has been well since. Hopefully it isn't connected but it might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had this on my old MY89 9000, it was the oil pressure switch which is located just above the oil filter but is difficult to see from underneath. It always looked like the oil filter wasn't sealing properly because oil dripped down onto it from the leaking pressure switch.
Replace the switch using a 19mm socket I think, remember to reconnect the wire afterwards.
You need to get the car up high to do the job easily.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'd go with the oil level switch- it's a common source of leak. Unfortunately you need to drain the sump to change the O ring, which is what normally fails.

The oil filler pipe is at the rear, not the front if the engine.

In the turbo area, a more remote possibility is the low pressure oil return hose.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am facing the same (or similar) problem with my 92 CS Carly 2.3 First glance seemed to pinpoint it to the two large oil pipes attached to the filter block,and they did indeed tighten up a little,but the leak persisted.A good gunking down and then running the engine whilst playing a torch on the area revealed the culprit.In my case it was the joint between the oil filter housing block and the crankcase.The oil released sprayed around the area and appeared to be coming from (a) the pipes and (B) the oil pressure switch block,but cleaning down first definately showed the block joint as the villian.Unfortunately,lacking a parts book,I do not know if there is a gasket there.If not I shall carefully use a bead of silicone instant gasket,avoiding any oilways of course.Until then,and I do not relish the job because of restricted access,I shall devise some sort of sponge "nappy" as it is disgracing itself on the road outside the house!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had this problem too and spent saturday trying to fix it. The leak seemed to be coming around the oil pressure switch, so I replaced that (with a 23ml Socket)along with the dipstick tube and oil level sensor seals. I also fitted a new sump plug and washer just for good measure. This seems to have fixed it now, there it still a tiny drip but nowhere near as bad as before. I was having to top it up ny about a pint every week before! I know older cars like to 'mark their territory' but that was rediculous, even my triumph spitfire didnt leak that much.

Billy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As you can see from the replies to your post Gelcoat this is a very "busy" area for potential oil leaks on a 9000.Indeed it may be coming from more than one source.The only sure way to track it down is to thoroughly de-grease the area and then,with a good light,look for the first signs of weepage when you start up.A wipe over with a rag is not the answer as the oil hangs around in hidden corners, and then misleads you as it subsequently oozes down around the wrong joint (as I found out!)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks to you all, I now have an idea of what I am facing and it does'nt seem half as bad as I thought. I don't know about marking is ground. my wife is now insisting I replace the tarmac drive. Oil makes one hell of a mess of tarmac! Beware.

Once again many thanks to you all

·
Registered
95 Posts
mix up some automatic biological wasing powder with some washing up liguid and a little water next time it looks like raining heavily for a while and apply the mix to the worst parts of the drive, the rain and a going over with a yard brush will take care of the rest, it might not remove all traces but it will shift the oil and save you walking it indores

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.