Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to see one today the guy wants 2k for it, it has everything in it inc elec/mem seats,and it all works which surprised me.
This car is immaculate and has 135k a FSH,mot Nov, tax nov.I have a K reg 9000CD 2.0 LPT,mot sept,tax dec 140k he said he'll give me £600 for mine which would leave £1400 should I go for it!!, or is it to pricey.
I'm gonna call/text the guy either to night/tommorrow and it'll either be ye/nae,opinions please are greatly received,thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I recently paid £2900 for my 1996 CS 2.3t with 63000 mile & fssh so I suppose £2000 is somewhere about the right figure given higher spec though more miles.

The cars trade in value in A1 condition would be around £1500 so if you're happy with it the asking price seems reasonable.

The only thing that would concern me at that mileage would be the obvious timing chains etc..

However you look at it though, it's a lot of car for the money.

·
Registered
763 Posts
135K is around where things need replacing (head gasket, chain guides, wheel bearings, etc)and for an "N" reg I would not pay more that £1300/1400 cash.....it is buyers market, especially CASH buyers and 2.3 SAABs 1996 (N?)do not hold MUCH value anyway...high insurance, maintenance, etc. So buy with your head and not HEART!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by mutungi:
[qb]135K is around where things need replacing (head gasket, chain guides, wheel bearings, etc)and for an "N" reg I would not pay more that £1300/1400 cash.....it is buyers market, especially CASH buyers and 2.3 SAABs 1996 (N?)do not hold MUCH value anyway...high insurance, maintenance, etc. So buy with your head and not HEART!       [/qb][/b]
This sounds like sound advice Mutangi - but I am astounded at your estimated cash prices !

Having finally moved back to the UK just a few days (not too far from you), I have been scouring Autotrader for good CSE 2.3 Eco models - but M&N reg'd models seem thin on the ground and going for 2.5-3.5K+

So where do you find yours so much cheaper ?

Any help gratefully accepted - as I need some wheels within a month...

Andy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dealers are going to be expensive, but if you buy from one with integrity you will get a warranty, and peace of mind.
I have bought my last 3 from the same guys - get both present cars serviced by them, and I trust their integrity and expertise.
I will get a reduction on the sticker price if I buy another and their goodwill extends to advice, and fitting me into their busy schedule in an emergency.
Both family vehicles are in constant use, do 20K or so miles per year and as such are indispensible.
My time is valuable to me - I no longer do my own servicing and only minor rectifications. (As a former aircraft engineer my expectations that equipment will work as advertised - and continue to work - are high.)
A cynical B**t**d by nature, very few people have my unconditional or implicit trust. In the case of our very powerful, very heavy and very complicated collections of components that travel very quickly - I NEED confidence and faith in the ability, expertise and integrity of anyone who has worked on mine.

I would rather measure the cost of my SAAB's in money than...........

THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM OF ANY MEMBER WHO WORKS ON THEIR OWN CAR......, And I value the experience and advice that has been offered to me by the group.

SAAB's are not cheap when new - they are never going to be cheap to run or keep running.

Sorry for the ranting but some marques of car have a reputation for poor servicing etc as they get towards the bottom feeders in the food chain.

Alyn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.