Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mrs Paco's 2.3 FPT isn't even reaching the broken lines on the boost guage, although it does seem to row along ok....

While checking for vacuum leaks (none found) I noticed a ticking sound from the fuel injection rail area, which doesn't seem normal....

No misfire or anything, just down on power, but also strangely economical of late, like 33-35 mpg, so I was wondering if it was running a bit lean?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Originally posted by Paco:
[qb]....strangely economical of late, like 33-35 mpg... [/qb][/b]
Oh, what'd I'd give to have that kind of problem! Mine only gets 26 mpg

Sounds like it may be running base boost only. If you disconnect the connector on the APC solenoid, do you notice any difference on the boost gauge?

If all the hoses are good, it might be worth checking that the dump valve is not leaking.

Another possibility is the APC solenoid too.

Edit: another thing which my old 9K used to do was if it had sat for a few days, one of the tappets would rattle like a crazed flamenco dancer for a while, and it would run very sluggishly until the follower sorted itself out. It sounded really horrendous though, so I think you'd have been more colourful in your description of the tapping if that were the case.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently swapped the dump valve (and a load of hoses) for a known good one, which seemed to cure the stalling at roundabouts problem, of course that valve could be knackered now....

Wastegate arm moves freely, but with the obvious sprung resistance.

Base boost sounds about right, I'll check...

Brakes? An occasional appearance by the abs warning light, haven't checked it out yet...why?

The ticking is louder than it should be for just the injectors working, I'm pretty certain of that. And it's not as horrid as a stuck tappet, I've had that on my old 900, quite alarming!

The turbo does have quite an audible whistle, more than our Carly did, or even my tweaked 900 for that matter........

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
If you have an abs sensor problem and as a result the elecronics think you are braking, skidding etc.etc. I believe that the boost is cut. Same if there is a fault on the cruise control pedal switches.

So a first step would be to clean the wheel sensors and the cable connectors from them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by JohnCC:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Paco:
[qb] ....strangely economical of late, like 33-35 mpg... [/qb][/b]
Oh, what'd I'd give to have that kind of problem! Mine only gets 26 mpg

[/qb][/b][/quote]I reckon the Coupé is getting nearly that
You should try driving with 9 points on your license John... does wonders for fuel economy

·
Registered
128 Posts
hi ... I had a problem a while back which sounded like the dump-valve unloading about 3 or 4 times a second while accelerating... as you I only had base boost. It turned out to be a perished vac-pipe that I'd unwittingly broken while replacing an air-hose that had come adrift from under the throttle-body. I trimmed the end of the pipe off and stuck it back onto the spigot and hey-presto back to normal!

Take a torch and have a look in the dark place..!

HTH
Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.