Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes,

It's a plastic cover that goes over the unit that sits under the passenger seat.

Now you're going to ask what that unit is- I don't know, and it might be that you haven't got anything fitted there, just the piece of plastic.

HTH

·
Registered
231 Posts
According to the Handbook with my '96 CDE 2.0 LPT, the '4x32W amplifier' is located under the front passenger seat.

As I have the radio illustrated in the book (with removable keypad) I assume I have the amplifier as well but I'll check next time I go out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, this is interesting (or maybe not).

As far as I can see, there is no plastic box under my passenger seat and the wiring I can feel there is probably something to do with the seat heating.

However, on the floor underneath the drivers seat there is a black box labelled in English' SAAB 4518916 Made in Sweden by Luxor 95-33'. If that is week 33 of 1995 that would fit with this car being registered here in Feb '96. There are multiple coloured wires going into and out of this box and it looks more like a piece of the engine management system than an amplifier.

Luxor apparently did make TV's and radios but are more likely to be involved in computers now. I'm going searching for a part numbers list unless somebody who knows what this is posts in the next hour or so.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Didn't get anywhere with part numbers.

Checking back on Luxor, I found that the company did make radios and TV's but also made a PC in the late 70's and early 80's. It was sold to Nokia in 1985 and they in turn sold it in 1996 when they (Nokia) got out of the TV and VCR business to concentrate on 'phones.

On the basis of that it appears likely that the black box is indeed the amplifier. On LHD models the box in my car would be under the passenger seat. Shame about the plastic container though!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Originally posted by Togg:
[qb]Well, this is interesting (or maybe not).

As far as I can see, there is no plastic box under my passenger seat and the wiring I can feel there is probably something to do with the seat heating.

However, on the floor underneath the drivers seat there is a black box labelled in English' SAAB 4518916  Made in Sweden by Luxor 95-33'. If that is week 33 of 1995 that would fit with this car being registered here in Feb '96. There are multiple coloured wires going into and out of this box and it looks more like a piece of the engine management system than an amplifier.

Luxor apparently did make TV's and radios but are more likely to be involved in computers now. I'm going searching for a part numbers list unless somebody who knows what this is posts in the next hour or so. [/qb][/b]
The part number you list above is an amplifier, listed as 95-98 according to EPC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts