Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help ? I just bought a used 9000 2.3 CDS (1990 G reg.)which seemed pretty OK when I had it checked over prior to purchase. Known fault was a non-functioning air con sytem - thought to need a recharge?. This might or might not be relevant. But I just discovered a "wet patch" in driver footwell under all the carpeting and sponge insulation (directly round the little drain plug thing). No sign of leaks above this or from pedals etc. - seems to have seeped upwards, but no sign of leak under car. Moisture is oily, green and seems for all thwe world like neat glycol antifreeze. No sign of loss of coolant from the system, which contains antifreeze but is of course diluted. No sign of failure in heating unit. Any ideas would this could be ?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The air-con heat exchanger is above the drivers footwell, on the other side of the bulkhead.
The air-con gas is the same colour as you describe.
Might just be a loose connection if you are lucky, this is sometimes the case.
The heat exchanger is alongside the heater matrix, below the black plastic panel at the bottom of the windscreen.
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The heater matrix on the 9000 is notorious for leaking. The leak may be very slight so that the cooling system appears OK. The water will evaporate off the glycol mix leaving the neat glycol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
leaks can appear in rear footwells too!check ducts for green coolant. if you suffer from misting up and a curry like smell you probably have a leak from heater matrix area. if matrix previously replaced there may be 2 additional short hoses from the matrix connected by short stubs to the main heater hoses. these not visible from engine bay - remove plastic below windscreen to view. make sure all joints tight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts