Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sister in laws car

replaced coil pack cpl weeks ago took for test drive and how he drve it i dont know.......brake judder and bearings

anyway replaced front ventalated discs and pads yesterday as the old discs were shot inner part approx 10mm less and badly corroded pads obviosley had worn to this and inner ones showed more wear on them.

the pistons were hard to push back fully even with correct tool (reservor cap off) suspect starting to seize.................anyway managed to get new pads in and went for a run all o.k

father-in-law phoned today saying o/s braked smoking and pulled right when braked...............my reply was piston prob siezed and would take calliper work and refurb even as im on sick at mo................his reply was discs were thicker than old ones and also pads doh!!!! lol.............and went o to tell me didnt know what i was doing :mad: even though been doing for years lol

he said would do it himself (potcher lol) i said ok do you want to use my tool for piston his reply no have my own its called a crow bar and will replace one pad each side with one of the better old ones:eek: i said you cant do that for starters you dont know what compound the old pads are.......thats how garages do it he said (remind me not to take my car there lol)

i couldnt be arsed to tell him it was abs and would prob need to be vacuum bled ..............knowing in my mind what he is going to do lol

WHAT are your thoughts on this or is it me being to proffesional lol dont think so !!!!!!!

im stuck because although i think why do i bother just to be slagged off sister-in-law has a 3yr and 4month old kids

please add your input :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
5,054 Posts
you can't fit vented discs in a caliper assembled for a solid disc,disc slot in the vented disc caliper is wider..the piston should go back smoothly & freely from your descipt it was starting to seize,and now has seized..

unless the caliper is changed or refurb,it will sieze again..Also the disc & fluid should also be changed,heat would have boiled the fluid..

one pad wearing more than the other is siezed caplier sign.

as an ex mechanic,one area of the car you don't F**k around with is brakes..

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can't fit vented discs in a caliper assembled for a solid disc,disc slot in the vented disc caliper is wider..the piston should go back smoothly & freely from your descipt it was starting to seize,and now has seized..

unless the caliper is changed or refurb,it will sieze again..Also the disc & fluid should also be changed,heat would have boiled the fluid..

one pad wearing more than the other is siezed caplier sign.

as an ex mechanic,one area of the car you don't F**k around with is brakes..

hi jon agree m8 .............told him but no listen lol what got me he has removed 1 new pad from each side and replaced with old pad..........so 2 different pads on one disc

the discs oem vented m8 not solid so replaced with pagid vented and pads

·
Administrator
5,054 Posts
kez said:
his reply was discs were thicker than old ones and also pads
just reread,this puzzled me,but the new discs & pads will be thicker because they're new..or was he suggesting you've put the wrong discs & pads in..

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just reread,this puzzled me,but the new discs & pads will be thicker because they're new..or was he suggesting you've put the wrong discs & pads in..
jon he said they are thicker and so are wrong like you & i say obviously thicker cus new...............like yourself have been doing this for some years now and dont buy ****

he has just rang up spoke to wife and said ive fixed it and wasnt going to listen to that dickhead !!!! (me)lol
all it has done is caused friction with us again and only trying to help to save money................what would you do !!!! as im a bit concerned and will get the blame regardless

i even changed rear wheel bearing in drum(collapsed) and when pulled drum off with puller obiousley inner part was stuck to shaft and outer to drum so cut into to relieve pressure so could get off shaft and went work with drum to get pressed out and new in.......i eve did that wrong so he said lol

dont know why i bother sometimes mate

·
Registered
33 Posts
Now I know eff-all about mechanics. BUT, from the things you've listed, it's sounds like a clapped-out old banger anyway. Would cost of repair not be better spent on a slightly newer and better condition motor for her?

As for the father-in-law, given his tone, he sounds bitter that someone other than him is trying to fix it/help out. Also, his knowledge of mechanics could be a bit dated compared to yours?...

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Hi Kez,

Your father in law is being a cock!

What you did and said is correct + exactly what i would have done and i know brakes.

Not sure what point he is trying to make but it sounds bigger than just the car problem. Tread carefully.

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Kez,

Your father in law is being a cock!

What you did and said is correct + exactly what i would have done and i know brakes.

Not sure what point he is trying to make but it sounds bigger than just the car problem. Tread carefully.

Paul
Hi Paul thanks M8.......jealousy is the word its always been that way and my moto in life is i dont posses to know it all and not afraid to ask advice ............if you learn something every day you know what i meen

and with the probs i have myself at mo as you are aware dont need this **** especially when only trying to help lol

wouldnt mind quick word in week m8 if you dont mind

kez

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Of course mate, i have had a sickness and daioreah(sp?) don't know how to spell it but i am sure you get my drift bug all weekend and still continuing on today so won't be travelling far from our loo's! + i work from home so any time really.

Keep smiling, get well. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts