Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill,

Its a 15T-6 from a 9k Aero,
McPherson struts - my ar5e - give me double wishbones any day of the week.

Pete.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The general concensous of opinion from a couple of guys over on the Saab Turbo club of Sween is that in my application i should be looking at between 280-300bhp
All i can say is that the power is much smoother without the sudden onset of boost that the T3 gave,
It just keeps on coming - as the revs increased the boost just kept on climbing - it was amazing.
Bit like chalk & cheese comparing it to the T3.
Looking forward to Sunday now - could be quite interesting

Pete.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mark,

The gearbox retirement fund is doing very nicely thankyou
I have to say that i think the box has a better chance of survivial with the TD04 than the T3 as the sudden torque loading is not anywhere near as severe - its amazingly progressive - almost like a Normally aspirated engine.
Then again i havent really played with the set-up yet so who knows what a bit of tweakery can do judging by the fact that i know Alan and Bills cars can deliver full boost between 2000 - 2500 rpm's then i know the capability is there but i think i prefer the less aggresive boost curve at present and the gearbox might have a chance of survival - then again maybe not

Pete.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Way to go Pete !

....with the TD04 than the T3 as the sudden torque loading is not anywhere near as severe - its amazingly progressive - almost like a Normally aspirated engine.  [/b]
I am glad that you mentioned the TD04 versus T3 torque response. Your observation is exactly the same thing that caught my attention when I compared the two turbos (fitted to a 9-3).

i know the capability is there but i think i prefer the less aggresive boost curve at present and the gearbox might have a chance of survival - then again maybe not  [/b]
Wanna see the bills for the 3
gearbox changes I was lumbered with from my pre-TD04 days? I am in favour of the less aggressive boost curve myself. And it makes driving uphill (extensively tested up dem brighton hills ) or in slow traffic soooo much more fun .

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by tandino TD04 T16S:
[qb]judging by the fact that i know Alan and Bills cars can deliver full boost between 2000 - 2500 rpm's then i know the capability is there[/qb][/b]
You might find that with a 2.0 litre engine, it isn't so easy to achieve, which is probably good news for your gearbox...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I wonder if the difference in boost climb rate for the TD04 vs T3 is just the A/R ratio of the exhaust housing. That and the larger compressor and turbone wheels. It's probably definetly a good idea to have a "slower spooling" turbo on a C900 because of the gearbox problem already mentioned. I've actually thought about building a supercharged old 900. The advantage to a supercharger besides instant boost is that it's good for making hp, good for high revving, and not too high on torque. The 900 gear box can probably take plenty of hp, but the sharp twist of high torque flexes it just a little too much. Also the 2.0 and 2.1 L Saabs had very short strokes! Which is great for supercharging. I know there probably isn't a Saab supercharger for the old 16V motors, but I do think it would be really trick to see some Saab tuning place make a supercharged Saab rev to 9K rpm or something wild like that. Just for the heck of it! After all, torque is awesome, but high revs aren't bad either, and you only need 210 lb ft to make 340 hp @ 8500 rpm, and higher your rev limit the shorter your gear ratios. Could be a fun project for someone.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hey, Adrian, we like to edit our erroneous/incomplete posts here- you've got a reasonable time to do so. It avoids clogging up the threads with too many spurious posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]I wonder if the difference in boost climb rate for the TD04 vs T3 is just the A/R ratio of the exhaust housing. [/qb][/b]
Not necessarily. I had my T03 'hybridized' by Sweedspeed's turbo rebuild contact, and Frank specifically asked for a turbo that would spool up quickly, but have a smooth and progressive boost curve, with better efficiency at the top of the rpm range (projected engine redline 7,000) and a bit less midrange oomph as a trade-off.

What I got was a stock hot end, and what looks like a trim 55 compressor like on Cossie T3's, but with the blades aimed slightly differently (IIRC Frank talked about 'seven degrees' or words to that effect. I've read/heard about this more often since - it seems to be an established trick to tailor the efficiency range of the turbo more towards higher rpm).

Haven't been past 5,000 rpm yet due to unrelated problems, but it does seem that this turbo does what it says on the tin - boost comes in smoothly and progressively, and from 3-3,500 rpm upwards things start to happen rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hey if you're ever looking for an older Garrett turbo and you want to find one that suits your engine I found this tool IMMENSELY usefull:

http://www.turbofast.com.au/turbomap.html

A number of my turbo-going friends have discovered that they would be far better off with a different turbo. A few have actually change theirs to what this site shows would be the best for their car and seen massive improvements in drivability and power. Turbo flow maps are very fickle, some compressors are good for high boost low flow, some for low boost high flow, and finding one that won't run into the surge zone on your motor is sometimes trickier than just buying one that has the right maximum flow rating. I've found that for a very well tuned Saab with a more or less stock redline a T3 "50" trim is a very good turbo. It's not much bigger than the stock turbo, but it's capable of flowing easily up to about 300 crank hp. Suprisingly though. Most of the older Saabs I've seen tuned would still be well into the compressor map of the "45" trim which I believe is the stock trim. The "50" and "60" trim really are better for higher flowing Saabs. People with a really high intercooler efficiency (I add 10% to the intercooler if I'm calculating for water injection) and with really high volumetric efficiencies would constitute high flow. Like cars with well ported 2.1L heads, and modified camshafts. For the VE on older Saabs I typically estimate about 92% at peak torque, and 83% at about 5000 rpm with about 65% at redline. If it has cams the high end especially will go up. Just play around with that tool. I think after some time getting used to how it works you'll find it's almost insanely usefull, especially if you're ever in the market for a new turbo. And even if you aren't it's just plain fun! Put in what your ideal motor's output would be and see just what kind of turbo you'd need for your dream Saab! I do it all the time.

P.S. I know most of you already know this, but just to make sure ... most (if not all, I'm not sure on this one) T3/T4 hybrids use T04E compressor wheels. So if you're looking at a hybrid, check out the T04E's. (they seem to be the best of the T4's as far as I'm concerned anyway, T04B's seem really bad for small displacement engines) And remember not to run any of your points to the left of the map! That's the surge zone and if you do that your car may stutter on accelleration, and your turbo will not be as reliable as it should be!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts