Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Just a quick question that highlights my ignorance...but how can I check that my 1993 L reg' aero has the 225bhp 234R engine rather than the 200bhp 234L engine? Did all aeros have 225bhp? The Haynes manual really isn't much help here (neither was it today when I replaced the thermostat on it...rated as a 1star job, but who ever rated it had smaller hands than me
)
Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Not sure of your reasons.....but,
Basically if it's a manual, it's the B234R with 225hp.
If it's an auto, then it has the 200hp B234 from the 2.3FPT.

Or, are you wanting to know how to check the engine because you are suspicous that your manual Aero may have been retro fitted with a 'normal' B234 from a FPT...?????

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Aeropilot
My question was just the result of reading the font of much miss-information....the Haynes'. It isn't clear from Haynes if pre-1994 aeros may be only 200bhp (only...Ha), or if the the pre-1994 reference on the engine/turbo specifications may refer to an entirely different car spec'? I have no reason to suspect that I don't have a genuine aero....it is registered from new as such....it is just uncertainly as a result of reading the Haynes manula as to what spec' and aero has up to, and then beyond, 1993????

Kev

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
aeropilot is correct. All manual-transmission Aeros, right from the first ones in 1993, left the factory with the B234R engine. All automatic Aeros had the B234L 200hp engine with reduced torque. Even if someone had replaced the engine with a B234L, you'd still have 225hp as long as you still had the original manual Aero turbo and Trionic ECU. The engines themselves are the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.