Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1992 Saab 9000 CD Turbo 5 Speed.

Gah...I went to move my car out from behind my house today to get it back on the road (I bought an explorer for the winter which turned out to be a lemon) as soon as I hit the clutch it just went straight to the floor...no resistance. So at this point I know in trouble...so I investigate...I found the following:

Between the Firewall and the Clutch Between the engine and transmission I found what appears to be a hose with a metal joint. I took some pictures:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yo_airhead/album?.dir=53cf

So...A few questions...

What is this which has come disconnected? Can I just put it back in and retighten the screws?

This is going to sound really bad...but...Where is the transmission oil level dipstick so I can check the level? I know its probably empty..but Ill need to know so I can refill it once I fix the problem...I need answers as soon as possible as my explorer has become a death trap in the snow...

Thanks for all your help,
Aaron

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The thing in the photos is the gear selector rod. It moves in and out of a seal in the gearbox as you move the gear lever (shifter in American?) back and forth and it is normal for it to look shiny. It's not the problem.

Nor is the problem likely to be the transmission fluid. However, if you want to check this, there is no dipstick on later models. There is a level plug on the end of the gearbox and a filler plug on top. Remove both and fill slowly until fluid starts to come out of the level plug.

The problem is much more likely to be one of:

A failed clutch master cylinder (inside the engine compartment in front of the pedal)

A failed clutch slave cylinder (inside the bellhousing of the gearbox). This would lead to fluid dripping from the bellhousing if you pump the pedal a few times.

A failed clutch hydraulic hose, which connects the two.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright...I guess ill get it towed to a mechanic and hope its the hose...just curious...how much does a slave cylinder or a master cylinder cost?

Thanks,
Aaron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.