Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to turn the radio up so I can't hear it
I know hatchbacks rattle more than saloons but I'm getting fed up I've secured everything in the boot, don't carry much anyway. There's nothing loose inside the car rattling. Ok so the leather creaks a bit. Any particular areas I should check Does anyone else have the same problem

·
Registered
548 Posts
Helps if you can narrow the source down a bit.

When I had the dash all apart I found numerous bolts missing, and I secured cables and added weather stipping. Check QuasiMotors Saab site for a good write-up.

Now if I can find the time to chase down the door panel rattle and the sun-roof...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My rear parcel shelf used to creak and squeek. I put one side of velcro on the runners that the shelf sits on (i.e. at the edges). No more squeek. Take the shelf out as a test.
Front strut brace!
(a rather expensive de-squeeker )

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Luckily there's no noise from the dash area so thats good. I'll have to go over the door panels and other bits of trim. I have recently made more secure the rear parcel shelf. Quite a few people have suggested the front strut brace so I'll have to dig deep and invest in one

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The front strut brace does really help to reduce the rattles.

Another thing that you may be suffering from, rather than a pure "rattle" is what is referred to as door "chatter". Basically this is the noise made by the doors moving around in their frames against the seal. You can reduce it signficicantly by lubricating the door seals. I find dashboard trim spray or anything else silicon based works quite well

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing that you may be suffering from, rather than a pure "rattle" is what is referred to as door "chatter".  [/b]
Yep Mark, that sounds exactly what the car is suffering from. I'll give the seals a going over tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
I once thought about replacing the door seals.

It was 120euros for the right one, 125 for the left (why they are priced differently ), I saied I could afford to keep my old ones.

Go for the strut brace!

·
Registered
323 Posts
As mentioned above the front strut brace works wonders.
Also every 4 months or so I re torque all the bolts I can get at underneath the car, suspension, all bushes etc and that seems to quieten things down a bit.
Quite surprising how loose some of them get ( except the one you want to be loose! )
HTH
Andy

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I'll arm myself with all sizes of spanners and things and will attack the car tomorrow. I'm off to synchronise my watch Will let you know how I get on

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the door seals have been well siliconed by my mechanic. I only did the outer bits but he had the car in for some work and said he'll sort it out. What a difference it's made. I even went out yesterday and did'nt put the radio on
Thanks for the advice Mark

Next thing will be the strut brace (funds permitting
)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.