Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, been without the 9000 Aero for 2 months due to brake problems, which have at last been resolved. Brakes (Brembo 4 pots) are now starting to bed in - OH YES!

It was interesting getting back in the car after having driven others for a couple of months. Have to say, it felt great and the midrange punch astounded me.

I have recently been driving both the 900 (ex Tandino) and my ST220.

The 900 is very very fast top end, but lacks the mid range of the 9000 Aero. It is a real pleasure to drive though & in terms of finess and overall driving experience, I think in many areas, it beats the 9000 hands down. It feels more special, more controlled, more agile, is a lot smoother & there is just something about the 900 experience that you get with certain cars when you drive them. I am in no doubt that it is a modern day classic.

The ST220 is a fantastic all round car, with superb ride and handling, very sharp controls, great seats, super equipment levels and a lovely engine note when you boot the throttle. However,
it really does feel slow compared to both Saab's. A combination of weight (1650kg) and lack of torque (200 odd lb's).

So, what I really need now is just the one car with killer midrange, bonkers top end, awesome handling, smooth ride, tons of gadgets, an involving driving experience, lots of space, monster brakes etc etc. Any ideas???

·
Registered
765 Posts
just been through the same thing, on friday had a drive in a 02 9-5 aero - effortly fast and then a 01 9-3 aero coupe very fast higher up the revs and then just for fun had a drive in a ovlov s60 2.0T SE 180 bhp, all starts off well then nailed it in 3rd and I am still waiting on it accelerating !! the salesman said it had, and I quote "serene acceleration" I think not !! it is just gutless, was never so glad to get back into my 94 cse lpt ...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]So, what I really need now is just the one car with killer midrange, bonkers top end, awesome handling, smooth ride, tons of gadgets, an involving driving experience, lots of space, monster brakes etc etc. Any ideas???      :eek:  [/qb][/b]
Audi RS6 Avant......

Seriously though, Jez, sounds like you're trying to convince yourself you want a 9-5 Aero.....pretty close to all of the above, I'm certainley happy with mine

·
Registered
661 Posts
Oh yes Jez - the brakes on your car were superb and still bedding in so i can only imagine what they will be like when fully settled - what would they be like on a C900 though
If you think the 900 is good now then hopefully it will be even better when you get it back after ive fettled it some more - that drivers seat is a real pain in the **** - i was wobbling all over the place on the way home

Pete.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Could you give us a run down on the Brembo brakes,good points and bad , how much and how easy to fit with which wheel size etc

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, mine aren't yet run in properly, but they really started to bite on the way home from the East Sussex SOC meet last night. I'd say the major plus point is cost - £900 as opposed to around £1800 for AP and much cheaper replacement disks. The obvious downside is that with Godspeed, you are dealing with a complete fecking idiot who will probably take about 2 months to sort out your order, send it to someone else and get all the measurements wrong.

Graham, I'd love an RS6. They are a real beast of a motor, though if you go by the reviews, most Audi's since the original Quattro are a bit uninvolving. I think a 9-5 Aero may well be the next car, but I do like the hatchback of the 9k & then there is the fact that I would have to spend a fortune to get all the bits that I now have fitted to my car.

Pete, loooking forward to the new suspension, uprated brakes (9000 Aero calipers!!!) and must plan that trip to Emerald soon. I told you the seat wasn't great.

Hopefully, Pete will be cheaper than Newport Pagnell....

·
Registered
661 Posts
Easy to fit when the kit is plug and play as its supposed to be - unfortunately Godspeed dont understand this and the customer service is [expletive deleted] .
Once the kit was measured up and all the bits were present (which was an ordeal in itself) then the kit is fairly simple to fit.

:The complete original caliper carriers and have to be removed along with the original brake hoses....

:You have to cut the splashguards to fit so the larger disc can be accomodated as these curve over the original 280mm discs and the 320's arent going to fit inside them....

:Obviously braided hoses are used so these need tobe connected to the fixed line and the calipers....

:The relocation brackets for the new brembo calipers are mounted directly to the hub assembly using the original mounting points with longer bolts and as the relocation plate is fairly substantial (read thick!)....

Thats about it - all fairly easy - ensure that the braided hoses are secured so as not to rub on the wheels etc and your ready to go once youve bled the brakes

Why didnt it happen like that in reality

Pete

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Easy to fit but you have to watch out for alignment...
I had to shim them out as the brake carrier was skewed a few mm out of true
:You have to cut the splashguards to fit so the larger disc can be accomodated as these curve over the original 280mm discs and the 320's arent going to fit inside them....  [/b]
I just cut mine off

the origonal 4 -pots did not come with hoses so I had custom ones made up (about 30 cm longer iirc) and they plumbed right in to the brembo's
power wise a step up from the last four pots (volvo calipers)

so these will be a huuuuge step up from the crappy oem's
very progressive ,lots of bite
but very very dusty !!
look forward to replacing them with 2500 compound ...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]£900 as opposed to around £1800 for AP  [/qb][/b]
Last time I checked you could get the APs for no more than £1400 if you shopped around.

And they work- straight out of the box

·
Registered
281 Posts
Back to the bit about wanting a car that does it all. I had a 2.0 Mitsubishi Galant which handled ok and had a few gadgets on it. But if you were to go for the Galant VR4... that's a 2.5 V6 Twin-turbo (v.rapid) which is the same size as the 9000. You can get an estate version and they are 4-wheel drive. Full electric leather seats, GPS and climate control are all available.

Alternatively you could do what I'm doing and do lots of work on your c900. You've got a good starting point. If I put it all together right it should end-up with the following gadgets: Traction control, launch control, anti-lag boost enhancement, full throttle gear changes, remote start, one-touch windows, GPS, DVD, TV, MP3 and all the other stuff that comes with the c900.

Those Galant's are quite cheep as well.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I suppose another issue with comparing big brake conversions is the cost of new pads or discs for them.Also the expected life of the pads or discs,obviously this depends on your driving/braking style,high speed or low speed driving like any other brakes,any info from the big brake lads?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Answering a couple of Q's...

Yes, the £1400 is inc VAT
(Consider this- the VAT break point on a business is less than £50k IIRC. If a firm is not charging VAT, it tells you a lot about their turnover)

Pads- a new set of fronts for my APs is about £90, which is comparable to a set of regular performance pads.

All things being equal, the pads on the big brake kits will last longer as they have a larger surface area than stock pads. However, if you regularly use the brakes to their max, they obviously won't last as long.

Discs are admittedly a lot more expensive (circa £350 IIRC)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Though about a VR4 or a Legacy GTB when I bought the 9000. I drove a Legacy. However, it had none of the midrange of the 9000, the interior was crappy and it was lacking a lot of gadgets. I imeagine the VR4 would be similar.

Mark - I assume that the disk price is each??

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Jez,
Any idea on the replacement disc (per pair) and pad price (per axle set)? I presume just the disc without the bell would be replaced alone?

Nick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts