Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First post on Saabscene so I thought I'd introduce my 900.

Ever so slightly played with

Modifications include F900/Lotus Chargecooler, Turbo Technics Trim 60 T3, Aquamist water inj, F900 Vacuum Capsule, F900 APC, Gas flowed Cyl Head (B202), Matched and G/F'd inlet and exhaust manifolds, balanced bottom end, uprated fastners, 30# Injectors, 3.5bar base F/P, Apexi S-AFC, Brembo 4 pots, 325mm fronts and a few other bits and bobs. Air-Con, Cruise Control, EGR and TB Heating have also been removed.

307bhp and 314ft/lb @ 1.6bar

Matt

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Originally posted by F900:
[qb]Ever so slightly played with    

Modifications include F900/Lotus Chargecooler, Turbo Technics Trim 60 T3, Aquamist water inj, F900 Vacuum Capsule, F900 APC, Gas flowed Cyl Head (B202), Matched and G/F'd inlet and exhaust manifolds, balanced bottom end, uprated fastners, 30# Injectors, 3.5bar base F/P, Apexi S-AFC, Brembo 4 pots, 325mm fronts and a few other bits and bobs. Air-Con, Cruise Control, EGR and TB Heating have also been removed.

307bhp and 314ft/lb @ 1.6bar

Matt [/qb][/b]
Wow!!
Great car Matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Bussman:
[qb]we will have to see her on the Rollers 307BHP        
[/qb][/b]
I've got plots at the workshop, I'll dig them out and scan them to post up. The torque curves not what you'd call flat but its acceptable I'll do some recent shots of the car (incl engine bay) as well as the above aren't very recent.

Theres a short vid of it attacking the corners at Bruntingthorpe Proving grounds, available here F900 Corners Vid

And the full spec is here

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb]There's going to be some 'Tandino envy' around here soon            [/qb][/b]
I'd rather not get into similar again. Friends Pete?

Matt

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
NICE

Well that certainly appears to be the current Daddy amongst the modified T16's frequenting these boards. Would certainly give most of the modified 9000 2.3T's a darned good hiding as well!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not only the fact that its got grunt, much more importantly the suspension setup is as perfect as I'm likely to get it without getting silly and it weighs only a touch over 1200Kilo's.

If you don't want to do the math thats 255bhp/tonne.

It spends most of its time at Bruntingthorpe PG and can hold its own against a lot of much more expensive kit

Matt

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
[qb]Its not only the fact that its got grunt, much more importantly the suspension setup is as perfect as I'm likely to get it without getting silly and it weighs only a touch over 1200Kilo's.

If you don't want to do the math thats 255bhp/tonne.

It spends most of its time at Bruntingthorpe PG and can hold its own against a lot of much more expensive kit    

Matt [/qb][/b]
Sounds like fun

You need to get yourself down to Anglesey on July 2nd and have a blast round a different track with everything from standard motors to ones tweaked like yours

Andrew

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
matt ...nice car !!
It has got everything you could possibly do to it and still be sensible...

Would certainly give most of the modified 9000 2.3T's a darned good hiding as well!!!!    
   [/b]
naaahhh....I don't think so...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've seen the trackday advertised. I did previously say (on alt.autos.saab) it was a bit far to lug my kit but I'll have to check the dates as we may be enroute to an event, if not and the transporters spare it might well be worth a look.

BTW if anyone fancies a run around Bruntingthorpe its £55 an hour contact me to find out when we'll be down there and your welcome to join us.

Matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[QB]matt ...nice car !!
It has got everything you could possibly do to it and still be sensible...[/b]
Its built to be a seriously quick point to point car and whilst its not that sensible its useable at a push.

Would certainly give most of the modified 9000 2.3T's a darned good hiding as well!!!!    
   [/b]
naaahhh....I don't think so... [/QB[/b]
Oh I think you may be surprised

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
[qb]I've seen the trackday advertised. I did previously say (on alt.autos.saab) it was a bit far to lug my kit but I'll have to check the dates as we may be enroute to an event, if not and the transporters spare it might well be worth a look. [/qb][/b]
Welcome to Saabscene, Matt.

Hinckley to Anglesey is nothing. We have people coming from Brighton, Eastbourne and Scotland ...so Hinckley is practically local

[qb]Oh I think you may be surprised    [/qb][/b]
Don't count your chickens until you have met Ylee, Matt. Only one way to find out ...get along to Anglesey

Seriously, it would be very interesting to see you and your Saab there, especially given the level of modification. Equally, it's a great day for standard Saabs to exercise themselves on an interesting and undulating circuit

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
If you come to Anglesey you might just find a 9-5 or two that can hold there own aswell Nice looking car though Matt!

Oops just thought there will be a quick 9-3 there too

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Umm well as the owner of (dare I say it) probably the most powerful 9000 at last year's event, I think can safely say that F900's car would lick us 9000 boys. Also owning a T16S, I know the basic differences between the cars, and you can't ignore 300kg or so of weight advantage on a short circuit. Anglesey just isn't built for bruisers like the 9000s (That's not to say it isn't a fun or interesteing track, just simply that if you want to push it to the limits, a smaller, lighter car is better). Come down to Goodwood or Castle Combe and it would be a different story though...

To give you an idea of the scale of difference between the two circuits, at Anglesey the top speed I managed was about 105mph (in 3rd!
) at Goodwood it was nearer 135mph...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Umm well as the owner of (dare I say it) probably the most powerful 9000 at last year's event, I think can safely say that F900's car would lick us 9000 boys. Also owning a T16S, I know the basic differences between the cars, and you can't ignore 300kg or so of weight advantage on a short circuit. [/qb][/b]
Completely agree (well I would wouldn't I ), as mentioned before F900 has around 255bhp per tonne. For a 9000 to have a similar power to weight ratio would require 383bhp. Taking into account the difference in weight transfer across the 900/9000, grip levels under decel/accel etc. etc. and the differences in suspension setup, the 900 does make the better track car.

Originally posted by Mark E:
Anglesey just isn't built for bruisers like the 9000s (That's not to say it isn't a fun or interesteing track, just simply that if you want to push it to the limits, a smaller, lighter car is better). Come down to Goodwood or Castle Combe and it would be a different story though...        :fawlty:      :fawlty:  

To give you an idea of the scale of difference between the two circuits, at Anglesey the top speed I managed was about 105mph (in 3rd!    :eek:   ) at Goodwood it was nearer 135mph... [/QB][/b]
If you fancy a trip to brunters then let me know, 2 mile long 60m wide straight is quite good fun for getting a bit of speed up, on the last session out the data logger recorded a peak of 5623rpm in 5th, just over 150mph

I'd be up for a Stig type 900 Vs 9000 event. Wouldn't we need a single (impartial ) driver as a control though so it was a judge of car performance rather that driver skill?

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
[qb]
I'd be up for a Stig type 900 Vs 9000 event. Wouldn't we need a single (impartial ) driver as a control though so it was a judge of car performance rather that driver skill?

Cheers
Matt [/qb]
That's what I was getting at. Not only 900 vs. 9000 - more getting a yardstick for overall performance of modified Saabs, so:

* interested parties will get a better idea about the effectiveness of certain modifications.

* folks modifying Saabs have a way to make their achievement more tangible for the outside world. Life's not about dyno slips.

The Idea

A European version of the Viking Challenge which was held for the first time that the 2003 SOC in the US. It's a combination of a timed autocross, a dyno session and a 'concourse' of modified Saabs where points get awarded not for originaility but for the quality of execution of their mods, and how they fit in with the original concept of the car.

Now we don't have autocross over here as an organised form of motorsport - our parking lots are rather too small, I think. The most suitable equivalent IMO would be a sprint-type event where car hit a timed track course one by one (to minimize the danger of damage to cars, we'd basically be looking for an airfield-type track).

As said we want to gauge the performance of the cars, not their drivers - hence The Stig. Which can be anyone with suitable track skills and experience as well as a sane attitude regarding driving someone else's pride and joy.

That, and the Stig bit is just too good to miss from a publicity point of view - everybody who's only slightly into cars will immediately recognize what we're at

If we make it a yearly event, at the same track every time, we have a good instrument to 'measure' the ongoing development of the performance Saab scene. To further aid an understanding of what our cars are capable of, we could bring a couple of non-Saab performance cars along as a benchmark.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts