Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know what to use on my 2001 MR2 Mk3 - has the electric p/s pump the fluid colour is sh*t, it is black/grey/brown in colour and the steering is tightening up when hot - suspect fluid needs changing, coming up on 94k miles, unlikely it has been done before. Serviced the steering knuckle joint just this week which is a well known fault - it is better but just not right.

ECP close by so a recommendation based on their stuff would help.

Many thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parrs is also very good, about 1/2 mile further out towards Sixfields on the left (at a set of lights).

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
I would suspect the original colour to have being red...........if that's the case I would recommend dexron 2 hydraulic at fluid, dexron 3 is also suitable as it superseded 2

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Paul, ignore above mate, theres a 90% chance it wont be and given your colour guide black/grey/brown would indicate the fluid would have being clear or possibly gold to start with, and power steering fluid comes in both of these colours and is not atf fluid, didn't really pay much attention to the colours at first oops:crazy:

a quick check on auto data suggests 2 types of pumps on Toyota hydro electric or electric, imo it will be hydro electric given its age...........

does it say EH on the cap ? if so I would not be using dexron or any type of atf fluid !!

in this case I would be looking at a fully synthetic p/s fluid such as CF11s/202 spec or mobil 302 or similar

let me know what the cap has on it and will advise from there mate, will also make a call later :)

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, much research has left me slightly confused and with a little more knowledge.

Its an electro-hydraulic system designated EH.
Has specific oil, not atf oil as it will damage the seals and is simply too think and not compatible with existing oil.

Requires Toyota EH oil and wait for it...its £50.00 per litre sold in litre tins!

Not wanting my pants pulled down i spent some time looking for the solution.

It turns out that TOTAL make such an oil too for PSA vehicles using an EH type system called FLUIDE DA

same specs!
Price is £12.72 per litre!!!

Sold by TOTAL or French car dealers such as Pug and Renault.

Have asked Kez to cast his eyes over it to make sure i am not missing the pooint but it seems this is the solution to not having my wallet raped!

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
ehps as toyota call it is basically the same sytem used on most manufacturers these days, uses an electric pump to pump the hydraulic fluid around rather than belt driven there is a newer style of electric power steering that uses sensors as per steering position which i know the japs have adopted in some models

if it is toyota ehps system then dexron atf will not be sutable as it requires specific ps fluid other wise you risk damaging the seals

as we speak im on da phone .................the one you require is peugeot GOLD power steering fluid and is around 9 quuid a litre :)

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:) You are a star! and i really apprecate your time and efforts Kez. Will purchase some tomorrow, drop the old fluid and refil. :)

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
in this case I would be looking at a fully synthetic p/s fluid such as CF11s/202 spec or mobil 302 or similar
just done a quick check on the total oil you suggested and has basicaly the same specs as cf11s or newer 202 s above .............which to me is about right given the type of system it is . manufacturers like to make it sound special to there vehicle but infact its widley used system and as we know manufacturers dont make the pumps !!!

:Dcan i do my dance now:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts